Friday, January 20, 2012

Mushroom and Brown Rice Casserole

When I first saw this Mushroom and Brown Rice Casserole I knew I had to make it. My husband and I love rice so I try to use brown rice whenever I can because it's healthy and I love the nutty taste too. This casserole is full of mushrooms and onions and a couple of ingredients that may surprise you. Cottage cheese, sour cream; are you surprised? Anyway, this is delicious. I only made a half of recipe for just my husband and I. It was enough for dinner and leftovers the next day. This is now my favorite brown rice recipe. If you are a rice lover, you should give this casserole a try.

Mushroom and Brown Rice Casserole
slightly adapted from Annie's Eats - I made half of the recipe, and it made 3 - 4 side servings. Double the recipe if you need more.

2 teaspoons olive oil
4 ounces of mushrooms - I used Baby Bellas
1/2  of a red onion, finely diced
1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
1 egg
1/2 cup cottage cheese - regular,or low fat
1/4 cup sour cream - I used low fat
1/4 teaspoon salt
black pepper to taste
3 tablespoons fresh grated Parmesan cheese
parsley for garnish - optional

Give the mushroom a rough dice and then saute in oil in a skillet over medium heat. when they have released their liquid, add the onions to skillet. When softened, add the minced garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. In a bowl, combine the egg, sour cream, cottage cheese and salt. Stir in about 1 1/2 tablespoons of the Parmesan cheese. Mix in the rice and the mushroom mixture and pour into a greased 1 quart casserole dish. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees F. for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake 15-20 minutes more. Remove dish from oven. Top with the remaining Parmesan cheese. Garnish with parsley and enjoy!




12 comments:

  1. That sounds like a good recipe. I will come back and write it down. I like recipes when it doesn't require cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are a mushroom and brown rice family! So you can tell this is in my future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds delish. I am always on the hunt for new casserole recipes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though rice is my least favorite starch, I believe I'd really get into this dish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you about brown rice, Lynda. We love the nutty taste. This is a really unusual recipe and looks wonderful. Love finding new side dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the nuttiness of brown rice, too. This sounds like a good recipe. I made another batch of your french bread this week. We *love* that stuff! I've been making a batch every couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. everything about this screams delicious and comforting...except the mushroom aspect. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds delicious. I'm always looking for new ways to serve brown rice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My husband is a huge rice lover and I know he will be thrilled when I make this for him. Thank you for sharing Lynda!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just found your blog through Google...glad I did because this recipe looks amazing. Can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!