Saturday, January 7, 2012

Bacon and Brown Sugar Wrapped Smokies

Do you need an appetizer idea for the football games this weekend? I made these over New Years and had trouble getting a picture because family members were getting impatient to get some. Sausages, bacon and brown sugar- what's not to love. While they aren't going to be the healthiest appetizer, they definitely will be devoured as they are very addictive. We couldn't stay out of them! Here's the recipe.

Bacon and Brown Sugar Wrapped Lil Smokies

1 package Lil Smokies sausages, beef or pork - I used Hillshire Farms Beef sausages
bacon slices, cut into thirds
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
toothpicks

Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Cut your bacon slices into 3 equal portions. Wrap each sausage with a piece of bacon and place on the baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining sausage and bacon. Scatter the brown sugar over the sausages. I made sure there was a little heap of brown sugar on each one. Place into the oven and bake for 15 - 20 minutes, or until the whole pan of sausages is bubbly. Remove pan from oven. Place a toothpick in each sausage and place appetizers on a serving tray. These will delicious either hot or room temperature. Enjoy!
NOTE: Most recipes I've seen for these say to put toothpicks in the sausages before baking, but they get very messy, so I tried waiting until after they were baked and the sausages did just fine.

10 comments:

  1. I don't know anybody who wouldn't love these tasty little sausages. This is perfect game day food. If I serve carrot and celery sticks along with them it kind of balances out don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I imagine these disappeared before they could get cold :-). I have some sports fans here who will love them. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a blast from my past. Haven't had these in years - how fun and tasty to be reminded!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are the PERFECT little party snack!

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's the pork show! and i love it! of all appetizers, this may very well be my absolute favorite. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, the right snack for football games!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so easy and when pig is involved it's so good. I am making these Saturday to surprise my pork loving family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lynda, I did make these and my family LOVED, LOVED, LOVED them! They made the Saints losing a bit easier to tolerate = )

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!