Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Tortilla Pinwheel Appetizers

 I know, Tortilla Pinwheels have been around for years, but they are still a great appetizer to have in your arsenal. I've been making them for years and these pinwheels are always devoured. Cream cheese with sour cream, cheese, chilies, olives and green onions - whats not to love? They are a wonderful holiday appetizer and best served the day they are made. Here's my recipe.

Tortilla Pinwheel Appetizers
slightly adapted from and old Taste of Home recipe
Note: These should be made several hours before they are served. While they can be made a day ahead, the tortillas get really soft on the second day.

1 8 ounce package cream cheese- softened
1 cup sour cream- I use low fat
1 4 ounce can chopped black olives
1 4 ounce can chopped green chilies
1/2 half a large red bell pepper, finely diced
1/2 cup diced green onions
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
5 large tortillas, (10 inch, burrito size) plain or flavored - I used Missions Jalapeno Cheddar Wraps

In a large bowl, cream the softened cream cheese. I used a mixer for this. Mix in the sour cream, and then the remaining ingredients by hand, except the tortillas. Divide the cream cheese filling evenly among the 5 tortillas and spread over the tortillas. Roll up the tortillas as tightly as possible with out squeezing out the filling. Wrap in plastic wrap and leave in the fridge, until cold, at least a couple of hours.When ready to serve, cut off the ends of the tortilla wraps. The filling won't be in the very ends, so they aren't needed. Slice the Tortilla Pinwheels into slices with a sharp knife,  and arrange on a serving platter. I cut into about 3/4 inch slices. Serve along side your favorite salsa if desired. For several years we have had appetizers for our Christmas Eve together, and Tortilla Pinwheels are usually there. Hope you enjoy!

12 comments:

  1. They have but I still LOVE them!! We had some at the baby shower last weekend and I could not hardly stay out of them! These look very festive too. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always enjoy these things and your ingredients sound super good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't care how many years they have been around! They are just plain good!!! Delicious - now send some my way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always loved tortilla pinwheels, but never tried to make them myself. These look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Things that have been around for years are because they are classic and delicious. I remember these and love them. They would last all of four minutes here! Merry Christmas! I hope you have a joyful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delicious, beautiful, and a classic. YUM!!

    Wishing you all the blessings of the season.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like this recipe, Lynda. I'm new to your blog and on the strength of it decided to browse through your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers and I'll definitely be back.I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look so yummy. I think I will make these for my Christmas Eve party! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is a classic, lynda, and for good reason. i like your take on them--happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  10. is there any way that I can pin this on my pinterest? I don't see a button

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is there any way that I can pin this recipe? I don't see a pinning button?

    ReplyDelete
  12. is there any way that I can pin this on my pinterest? I don't see a button

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!