Thursday, December 29, 2011

Fresh Orange Guacamole

I love Guacamole. My husband, on the other hand won't go near it, so if I make it, I need to make sure company is coming. If not, I get to eat the whole thing! That was the case this time so I made half a batch of this recipe from the December issue of Southern Living magazine. I ate the whole thing!
I was enamoured as soon as I saw the photo of this Fresh Orange Guacamole, so I had to try it. The avocado is mixed with onion, jalapeno, orange, and orange juice. It can be topped with a few pomegranate seeds for extra color if desired. It is a very pretty presentation. It is different, but I liked the burst of orange flavor with each bite of orange I took. I did miss the lime juice that I normally use though. Lime gives this dip some punch, something that the orange juice didn't. I couldn't taste the orange juice at all, and the jalapeno I used had very little flavor. I am going to make this again, and try using lime juice instead of the orange juice. But, I'd still love to find this guacamole at any food event, and certainly it would be a wonderful addition to a New Years celebration. So give it a try if you are looking for a new way to serve your guacamole.

Fresh Orange Guacamole
adapted slightly from Southern Living - 1/2 recipe
2 ripe avocados
1/2 of a navel orange, peeled and cut into 1/2 in. pieces
1 tablespoon finely diced red onion
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh orange juice
1/2  jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely diced
1 garlic clove, minced- I did not use this
salt and pepper to taste
fresh pomegranate seeds for garnish- optional

Scoop avocado pulp into a bowl and mash with a fork until chunky. Stir in the orange and the rest of the ingredients, except the pomegranate seeds. Cover and chill at least 1 hour. Garnish with pomegranate seed if desired. Enjoy!

10 comments:

  1. We're big fans of guac around here, but never would have thought of this - sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, isn't this a tasty twist on an old favorite recipe! I never would have thought to add oranges but I love an orange and avocado salad. Definitely something to try. Happy New Year, Lynda.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, the same problem at our house...no one eats guac but me! And I could just spoon it in my mouth :) Love this twist on the classic guacamole~

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks very good...love the addition of orange and I'm with you as far as the lime goes...just have to have it in there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A perfect time of year for this recipe. My husband and I both love guacamole. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am coming out of my Italian cocoon in 2012 - will try this - adore guacamole and always make the same-old recipe. I bet the orange just sparkles it! Happy New Year! May 2012 bring delicious days and joys!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is lovely! the pomegranate arils are a classy and tasty touch--nice one, lynda!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year! I wish you an amazing, healthy, full of love and happy moments 2012!
    Love your blog!
    Nice finding you!
    Visit me at: my-greek-cooking.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I could eat guacamole all day every day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. 2 ingredients we grow so well in crete - oranges and avocado; i will try this combination next time (never thought of combining them!)
    happy new year

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!