Sunday, June 5, 2011

Banana Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

 I have been gone from my blog too long and have missed reading your blogs so much. I'm trying to catch up, but I've been so busy. Our church has been a temporary home for some firefighters and other volunteers that came to help after the Joplin tornado 2 weeks ago. I can't believe it's already been two weeks! Anyway, some of my friends and I have been cooking breakfast and dinner for these hardworking men and women that have so unselfishly come to give a helping hand to those in need. Joplin and the surrounding area has been flooded with these wonderful people. Last Sunday, my husband and I went through part of Joplin, and believe me, the destruction is much worse looking in person. Such an overwhelming task is before the city. It looks as though a huge bomb was dropped and wiped out 1/3 of the city. The tornado was upgraded to and EF5 tornado, the strongest there is. The high school and 2 other schools were completely demolished and other schools were damaged. St Johns Hospital was destroyed. Thankfully there is another hospital in town. One hundred and thirty eight people have lost their lives so far. When you see what's left of the city, you can't help think that it's miracle that more weren't killed. I guess the 2nd siren got peoples attention. So much was lost.
On a positive note, our friends are improving. Sharon, the grandmother, is out of the hospital but fighting infection. The granddaughter is also home. The grandson is still very critical, but has opened his eyes and spoken a couple of words. They still have a far to go.
I made this delicious Banana Cake with Cream Cheese frosting for dinner one evening when the firefighters were here. There was none left. This awesome cake is supposed to be a layer cake, and I've made it that way before, but was in a hurry this time. But it's wonderful either way. The cake is not as heavy as banana bread, but it still has the yummy banana flavor and moist texture. And cream cheese frosting is the crowning glory! I've made this cake several times and it has become one of our favorite cakes. I hope you'll give it a try.
BANANA CAKE with CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
adapted slightly from Evil Shenanigans

1 cup mashed bananas
1 cup buttermilk
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
1 3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla

1. Grease pans. This cake will make a layer cake using 2- 9 inch round pans, or a 9x13 inch sheet cake.
2. In a bowl mash the bananas. It takes about 2 large ones. Stir in the buttermilk.
3. In another bowl mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt together.
4. Cream the butter and sugar together in a large bowl. Stir in the eggs and vanilla and beat well.
5. Alternately add the dry ingredients into the butter mixture with the dry ingredients, mixing well after each addition. Pour batter into prepared pans and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven. If using a dark colored pan, reduce the heat to 325 degrees. Bake for about 35 minutes. Cake is done when it springs back when lightly touched. Cool round cake pans for 10 minutes, then turn out on cooling racks to cool completely. Frost with Cream Cheese Frosting.

CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
1- 8 ounce package of cream cheese, room temperature
1 stick- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
3 1/2 cup to 4 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

With a mixer, cream the butter and cream cheese together.  Mix in the vanilla and then add the powdered sugar a bit at a time. Beat until smooth and creamy. If frosting is too stiff to spread add teaspoon or more of milk or cream. This is enough frosting for a 2 layer cake. It will be too much frosting for a 9x13 inch cake, so I freeze whats left. Enjoy!

11 comments:

  1. I love the idea of frosting the banana buttermilk cake! It must have tasted heavenly with creamy cheese topping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pass the plate please! I could really go for a slice of your cake right now. It looks delicious! I have an award for you on my blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, one of my favorite combinations, Lynda. I can't even imagine what difficult times all those who were affected by the tornado are going through. It's wonderful that you are able to help with cooking for those who are assisting victims. I'm sure they appreciate all you do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such devastation! I'm sure the volunteers appreciated this cake!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my - this cake looks sooooo good. Printing out this recipe now :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely thing you are doing. The cake is beautiful and I am sure appreciated. Please don't worry about commenting - just do what you are doing. Our hearts and prayers are with Joplin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds and looks like a fantastic banana loaf ...must make this really soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. if anything can bolster people's spirits, it's moist cake with creamy frosting. hang in there, lynda!

    ReplyDelete
  9. God bless you, Dear Heart, for all the wonderful work you do. My prayers for all those who have been affected and for all those who are of kind heart and compassion who are there to assist.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was horrible watching all the devastation on the news. My heart goes out to everyone. Your cakes looks amazing
    Oh and if you previously subscribed to my blog via an RSS feed. My feed address has changed. So if you have not been getting my current updates, you might want to re-subscribe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. From Amrita www.yesugarden.blogspot.com

    Wow this looks so delicious and tempting.

    I 've got a prize winning recipe on my blog.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!