Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Blueberry Scones with Orange Glaze

With blueberry season here I thought I'd share this delicious scone recipe from the archives. The first time I made these scones, I didn't care at all for the runny sauce with the recipe, so I've reduced the amounts and made a simple glaze that is much better. These Blueberry Scones are wonderful; crisp and golden on the outside and soft and tender inside with fresh blueberries in every bite. They have become a favorite on mine, so I hope you'll give them a try.

Blueberry Scones with Orange Glaze
adapted from Tyler Florence

Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
5 tablespoons unsalted cold butter, cut into cubes
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup fresh blueberries

Orange Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tablespoon very soft butter
enough orange juice to make glaze

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Stir together the dry  ingredients in a large bowl. Using a pastry blender, cut in the cold butter into the dry ingredients until it looks like coarse crumbs. Carefully stir in the blueberries, and then the heavy cream. Be careful to not mash the blueberries.
Press the dough into an 8 inch circle; cut dough into 8-10 slices, like you would a pie. Carefully place slices on a baking sheet. Brush tops with some heavy cream. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Remove from the oven and let the scones cool a bit before applying the glaze.
For glaze: Mix the powdered sugar, butter and about 1 tablespoon of orange juice until smooth. Add more orange juice if needed, to get the consistency you like. Drizzle glaze over the scones after they have cooled a bit. Enjoy!

14 comments:

  1. Congratulations!! Very good. Have a nice day. Marta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect for company breakfasts and I love scones so much more than muffins!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love scones because they're perfect with coffee! yours looks terrific...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I"ve never had much with scones before, but yours look absolutely perfect! Love the blueberry and orange combination!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This, and a cup of good coffee, are my idea of the perfect weekday breakfast. Love the orange glaze with blueberries.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you for turning to the underused orange for the citrus flavor! enough of blueberries and lemons--gimme orange! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow two of my favorite flavors, I have never made scones either, definitely on my radar to make this week! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Scones are definitely one of my morning favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You always have something welcoming me here when I visit. I also adore scones - with or without the glaze. Perfect when you want a baked good - but not a heavy cake.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have yet to make my first scone, and these are the perfect recipe! Love blueberries, and that glaze looks delicious! I wanted to let you know about my cookbook giveaway that is going on right now until July 16th. Stop on by to enter! Hope you are having a great week :)

    http://steaknpotatoeskindagurl.blogspot.com/2011/07/my-first-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks fantastic. I haven't had breakfast yet and now I'm thinking I need scones.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh these just look dreamy - I've been wanting to make blueberry scones for a couple weeks now, so I'm saving this one! :)

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!