Thursday, May 26, 2011

Sauteed Pork Chops with Caramalized Onions and Balsamic Vinegar

Thank you for the comments and prayers for our tornado ravaged area this week. Clean up in Joplin is going to take such a long time but we are amazed at all of the volunteers that have come from all over to help out. There's been so many tragic stories that we heard, but also some with happy endings. I will share some of them soon. One thing is for sure, people have really pulled together to get things done.

And now, something delicious to eat! Pork chops are a wonderful meat to have on a weeknight, and if you add caramelized onions that have been drenched in Balsamic vinegar, you've got a delicious entree fit for any occasion. I made these tasty chops last week and thoroughly enjoyed every bite. My husband however decided that he's not overly fond of balsamic vinegar, but he ate them anyway. I will make these again and just keep the onions for myself! The chops were tender and moist since I used bone-in chops and the addition of the onions and balsamic was was different and delicious. I hope you'll give these a try!

Sauteed Pork Chops with Caramelized Onions and Balsamic Vinegar
adapted from Fine Cooking

2 bone-in pork chops about 1 inch thick
1/2 of a very large onion- I used a Vidalia onion
2-3 tablespoons oil
about 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

Heat a large skillet over medium to medium high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil to the pan. Dry pork chops with paper towels and score the fat in about 3 different places (see note). Then season both sides with salt and pepper.
Thinly slice the onion and add to the heated skillet. If the onions brown too fast or begin to burn, turn down the heat. It should take about 15-20 minutes for them to caramelize. Remove the onions to a bowl.
Add 1 more tablespoon of oil to the same skillet and add the pork chops. Cook until brown and flip over. I used a paring knife and cut close to the bone to check doneness. If tit looks red, the meat is not done. These took about 4 minutes per side. Remove chops to a plat and tent with foil. Add the onions back to the skillet and pour the balsamic vinegar over them. Stir until incorporated with the onions and vinegar is slightly reduced.
Plate the pork chops and top with the balsamic onions. These are wonderful served with mashed potatoes, rice, or some Oven Roasted Potatoes with Herbs. Enjoy!

NOTE: When bone-in chops cook, the fat around the edge will draw up and the chops will not lay flat during cooking. To remedy this, I always cut through the fat in about 3 places with a paring knife. Just cut though barely, and the chops will lay perfectly flat whether you are pan searing or grilling and the meat will brown evenly.

10 comments:

  1. It is so hard to watch the devastation on tv. I hope and pray the rest of the season is calm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great recipe! I loved. Have a nice weeekend. Bye. Marta

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great recipe! I loved. Have a nice weeekend. Bye. Marta

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great recipe! I loved. Have a nice weeekend. Bye. Marta

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll have to try this one, I love thick pork chops!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How beautiful Lynda - to bring us this lovely dinner (and it is tasty) during challenging times. After a small tornado touched down in Minneapolis, we were all so grateful it wasn't worse and then we heard the news about Joplin. I do love how people pull together in the wake of such scary days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nothing like a good tasty and hearty meal to try and sweep away the devastation. We have lost contact with a friend, Bob Toler, in the Joplin area and hope that we find him well soon. Thanks for the lovely recipe and we wish you well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks gorgeous! Can't wait to try this recipe. Great share, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. the caramelized onions really make this for me--what a great touch! the zip from the vinegar is a tasty addition too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad to hear that you were safe from that horrible storm & tornado. Volunteers were our lifeline after Katrina, and can you believe all these years later they are still coming to help rebuild?

    These sound marvelous! My husband is the same way with balsamic vinegar so I have to be careful with it, but he'll tear up a pork chop for sure!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!