Monday, May 23, 2011

Tornado!

If you have watched the news in the last 24 hours here in the states, you may have seen the tornado headlines about the area in which I live. Sunday evening a F4 tornado slammed into Joplin, Missouri and leveled a 6 mile long path of destruction in this town of 50,00 people. Fortunately, my family lives about 15 miles away in a small town, so we were not in the path. But we did spend some time in the basement when the sirens went off.



This video shows only one part of Joplin and if you look you can see a 7 story hospital which looks like it has been bombed. This was shortly after the tornado went through. There have been scores of volunteers come to help since this video was taken. So far there are 116 declared dead across this city. We have had storms all day that have been hampering rescue efforts and are expecting severe storms tomorrow.
I'm asking for your prayers for this city. All of our family is safe and accounted for, but a family in our church was in Joplin when the tornado hit. They were at Home Depot and the twister caught them in their vehicle and threw them around. Their 14 year old grandson was sucked out of the vehicle and thrown on the pavement. His skull was cracked and he's in critical condition. Their granddaughter, who is about 8 or 9, is in surgery tonight, with Doctors trying to attach her ribs back to her backbone. She also had a metal rod go through her shoulder. They need a miracle.
About 2,000 buildings have been destroyed, both homes and many businesses also.
So my friends, it will be a day or so before I post a recipe as my mind just is not on cooking. And last week I was babysitting my granddaughter while her mother was on a business trip, so not too much exciting cooking took place then either, but I'll post soon with something yummy.
Just please remember this area in your thoughts and prayers. At least 1/4 of the city is gone and much more is damaged, so many people are homeless and looking for loved ones. Thank you.

10 comments:

  1. How horrible! I was busy yesterday and only ever heard of the devastation on the radio, so this is the first I've actually glimpsed at the total destruction. The people of Joplin (and your church friends) will be in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seeing the devastation that the tornado left in its path is heartbreaking. I'm so happy to read that your family is safe, Lynda, and all the affected families are in my prayers. I hope your friend's grandchildren have a full and speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone affected by this awful devastation. How very scary about those two children you referred to...my heart just breaks for their family and all of the rest of the families! I'm so very happy that you and your family are safe! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Lynda, How tragic! Your friends and the children will be in my prayers. What devastation that tornado wrought. It brings it home when you hear personal stories like yours. So glad you are safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a touching video. Thanks for sharing it. Definitely in my prayers. God bless! I'm so glad you are safe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad to hear that you and your family are doing ok after the devastating weather. Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone in your area.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The storm did such damage it is almost impossible to process. I'm so glad you were not directly affected. Those who have been injured or displaced are in my thoughts and prayers. Stya safe. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. This series of tornadoes have been so devastating. I am sorry to hear about the boy from your church and hope he will be all right. So glad you were not in the path.
    We don't have many tornadoes in Florida, but I was in a couple when we lived in Michigan. They were frightening.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We came back to our hotel with the horrific news and then happily an e-mail from a friend in MO - not affected - but you worry. So glad you are all right and thoughts and prayers and some green stuff for Joplin. It's been a scary spring.

    ReplyDelete
  10. what is going on here on earth these last few months? i don't like it! i'm so glad your family is safe, and you can be sure that you and your neighbors will be in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!