Monday, September 21, 2009

Apple Spice Muffins

I had a wonderful time at our ladies retreat last weekend. The weather was perfect, not too hot, but the mornings were quite cool by the lake. Some of the maple trees already had some reddish leaves and the sumac growing along the road was brilliant with burgundy color! It has been dark and rainy here the last two days with a chill in the air, so I can say it definitely feels like fall, my favorite time of year! I have some fresh apples waiting to be used for some luscious dishes, so I'm starting with these apple muffins. I've adapted this delicious recipe from an old Woman's Day magazine that I bought when I was first married and we love these muffins as much now as then. These moist, cinnamon muffins are a great addition to breakfast or a perfect snack any time of day with a cup of hot coffee or tea. Give them a try!

APPLE SPICE MUFFINS
1 1/2 cups flour (sometimes I use 1 cup AP flour and 1/2 cup whole wheat)
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. soda
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. cloves
1 1/2 cup peeled, chopped apples ( I used Jonathans this time)
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup melted butter ( 1 stick)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional
In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, soda and spices. Add the chopped apples and nuts, if using and toss to coat. In a small bowl, mix eggs, buttermilk and melted butter together. Pour into the flour mixture and stir until just combined. Grease muffin tins or use paper liners. Fill muffin tins 2/3 full. Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for about 15-20 minutes, until a toothpick comes clean when poked in the center. This will make about 15 regular sized muffins. The aroma of apples and cinnamon wafting through the house is a delicious way to enjoy fall! What's your favorite time of year?


11 comments:

  1. They reminds me of beautiful autumn....the season for some good apple cinnamon desserts.
    Angie's Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  2. these are everything a muffin should be--hearty, fruity, and cinnamony. happy fall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy, my husband would snarf these right up, I cant wait to make them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray for leaves changing colors!!! And these looks amazing...I WILL be making them this fall :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. a muffin with a fall theme..sounds really good..I'll be on the look out for more fall recipes..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this time of year with all its apple recipes. These look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love fall too, and fresh apples! Perfect theme for a muffin, delish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all the cinnamon and the big of clove in these! This goes on my fall must-try list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a perfect muffin to celebrate the arrival of fall!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like your Apple Spice Muffins. I will try them next week. I made Apple Bread yesterday and it was so good. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!