Wednesday, January 18, 2012

One - Minute Tomato Salsa

I can make a meal out of only chips and salsa, lots of salsa. And it is one of my favorite things when we go to our favorite Mexican Restaurant. They have the Best chips and salsa ever.
I found this recipe for One Minute Salsa in a Cook's Country Magazine last year and I've made it numerous times since then. I personally really like it, but it isn't quite as good as the restaurants. And of course it is not going to be as yummy as a fresh salsa made with garden grown tomatoes, no way. But this salsa is still one that I crave. After all, I can have a tasty salsa in just about one minute. All you need is canned, diced tomatoes, and some other ingredients that really freshen this salsa up. Fresh cilantro and lime juice really give it a flavor boost. Ingredients are pulsed quickly in a food processor and viola - salsa and chips are yours. Hope you'll give it a try.

One - Minute Tomato Salsa
adapted from Cook's Country
This recipe makes a mild salsa.

1/2 of a small red onion, quartered
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves- Cook's used twice as much
1/4 cup jarred, pickled jalapeno slices, drained
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 garlic clove, peeled- Cook's used 2
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes

1. In a food processor add the onion, cilantro, jalapenos, garlic and salt. Process until coarsely chopped.
2. Add tomatoes to processor and pulse until combined, about 2 or 3 quick pulses. If desired, drain salsa in a fine mesh stainer to remove some of the juices. Transfer salsa to a serving bowl. Stir in the fresh lime juice. Serve with chips and enjoy!

NOTE: I've found that different brands of tomatoes vary and that will make a difference on whether or not you will need to drain them for salsa. Also, use good quality canned tomatoes. I've used Hunts and Red Gold brands with success. Also, fire roasted tomatoes are nice in this.

8 comments:

  1. I LOVE chips and salsa too - I always over do it on them when we eat Mexican... Yummm..!! :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salsa is responsible for me being able to "mindfully eat" while still indulging! Grand winter recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the easiest salsa recipe I have seen so far. Fresh and so much better than the jar stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an easy and delicious recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love chips and salsa, too! Sounds absolutely delicious and what a bonus that it's not difficult to make!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love spicy salsa--it's probably my favorite snack of all time. being a cilantro-lover, i'd probably triple that amount!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've eaten chips & salsa many times for a meal... love it! This sounds good... many salsas are made with canned tomatoes and come out great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hard to beat fresh salsa but I hadn't thought of using canned tomatoes during the winter when fresh ones are so flavorless and expensive.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!