Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Blueberry Buckle

I used to think that a buckle was the same thing as a cobbler, but it's really not. A cobbler has fruit in the bottom of the pan and topped with either a pie crust like topping, or more of a drop biscuit topping. And the fruit bubbles and thickens, but it stays separate from the topping. However, a buckle is more cake like. The fruit, blueberries in this case, are mixed into the batter, topped with a struessel topping and baked. It's like a coffee cake, dense and moist with berries. It may get it's name because the top of the cake "buckles" as it cools. And it's very delicious! I did change the spices in this recipe because I love cinnamon best in the topping. I've made this wonderful Blueberry Buckle several times and my husband and I can't get enough of it! The cake is tender but dense, and packed with blueberries, for an incredible addition to your morning coffee, or a sweet indulgence any time of day. Enjoy!
BLUEBERRY BUCKLE
Adapted from Alton Brown
Ingredients:
For the cake-
2 cups of cake flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
4 tablespoons (2 ounces) of unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1 large egg
1/2 cup milk- I've used whole and 2%, both with good results
3 cups of fresh blueberries
For the topping-
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup cake flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
4 tablespoons butter, chilled- 2 ounces
Directions-
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9x9 inch glass baking dish with cooking spray.
In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder and ground nutmeg. Set aside.
In a large bowl, beat the softened butter and the sugar together until creamy and fluffy. Add the egg and beat well. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture and 1/3 of the milk, and beat until incorporated. Repeat until the ingredients are combined. Gently stir in the blueberries and pour cake mixture into the prepared pan.
For the topping:
In a small bowl combine the sugar, flour and cinnamon. Add the cold butter in chunks, and mix with a fork or pastry blender until there is a crumb-like mixture. Sprinkle the sugar mixture over the cake. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for about 35 minutes, or until golden. I tested with a tooth pick and my cake took about 45 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before serving. It's delicious warm or cold. Give it a try!


28 comments:

  1. Very nice and I'm positive delicious!! Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing such a lovely blueberry recipe. I am bookmarking it to try soon!
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  3. buckle or cobbler..I love 'em both and yours look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this looks and sounds amazing! I can't wait to try this and compare it to a blueberry pound cake I've been making. Thanks for sharing this! I need to use up my 22 cups of blueberries in my freezer! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like a wonderful recipe, Lynda. We have lots of blueberries in the markets now and I'm ready for a good blueberry cake. Love that streusel topping too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do use "bucke" and "cobbler" interchangeably. This is summer goodness. And my bushes have blueberries.... waiting....

    ReplyDelete
  7. What I would give for a big slice right now. It looks FANTASTIC!

    ReplyDelete
  8. cinnamon is the clear choice for the topping spice--good for you. :)
    and wow, this is beautiful. i love bleeding blueberries.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Buckles, Cobblers, Crumbles, Crisps, Grunts...I love 'em all! And what's great is you can make them all year with seasonal fruits. Blueberries and raspberries are my choice right now. This looks wonderful, Lynda!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really love this recipe. It is chock full of blueberries and the plate is probably buckling under its weight. AB recipes are always good, so its's hard to go wrong with this. It looks wonderful. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks awesome, look at all those blueberries inside!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks wonderful!!!Perfect for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ha, I used to think the same thing until now. You just cleared that up for me, thanks. This really is a beauty! I wonder, can you make this same recipe with any oter fruits and have it turn out the same?I love blueberries, and am also partial to peaches, cherries, you name it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Whatever you call it, it looks super scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOL I thought buckle and cobbler were the same, too. Well, I've learned something important here today. Thanks!

    And boy does this ever look GOOD!!! I am loving all that blueberry-ness (smacking my lips!).

    ReplyDelete
  16. My husband is going to love this recipe! Blueberry Muffins are one of his favorite thing to eat so I know he will love this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ohh my lord that looks wonderful, I have a ton of Blueberries in my freezer!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, WOW!! This looks AMAZING!! Definitely something my family would love. Putting it on my menu to make next week!! Thx for sharing! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've made this and it's very good. Alton's version with cake flour I bet is very tender. Your photo is lovely.
    PS I am having a $70 giveaway on my blog. I would love for you and all your readers to enter. Deadline is Sunday, July 25, Midnight.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yum, we love fruity desserts. I don't have blueberries but I do have some raspberries needing a home. Thanks for sharing!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lynda, I made this the other day and it was a HUGE hit at my house! It was gone so fast that I think I need to make it again real soon! :o) THX for an AWESOME recipe!! ** I posted it on my blog...go check it out! threeonfood.blogspot.com!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Tara- I'm so glad your family loved this-it really doesn't last long does it!
    I need to make it again as I just found blueberries on sale at my store. Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I made blueberry buckles, twenty years ago. I think it was the Pillsbury Bake Off recipe. It was good then and I am sure, it is good now.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm drooling just looking at your picture. I'm getting ready to use your recipe for your bell peppers. I'm going to have the blueberry buckle for desert. My mom has passed but I remember the aroma coming from the kitchen. I could smell it from down the street. Your recipes look awesome........ P.S. Thxs for sharing :) Peace Love & Harmony, Maddy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Maddy for visiting; I hope you enjoy the stuffed peppers and the bluebery buckle.

      Delete
  25. Out of this world! I used frozen blueberries and regular flour and doubled the topping, so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you liked this! It is still one of our favorites too. Thank you for leaving a comment and letting me know.

      Delete
  26. Hello Lynda, congrats for your yummy blog. I found it via Nami (Just One Cookbook). Promised, your fantastic Coconut-cream-pie, Bacon-cheddar-chive scones and Blueberry buckle are soon to be tried. Living in Normandy (France), we do not have a lot of blueberries, but right now there are raspberries in the garden and, very soon, wild blackberries in the fields - they should go very well with it.
    Hope you have a wonderful summer. Cheers, Eva (0670400682@orange.fr)

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!