Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Smashed Yukon Gold Potatoes with Herbs

I cooked a Pork Loin Roast the other night and wanted a potato side dish that was easy. I love them roasted in the oven, but my kids prefer mashed, so I decided on these yummy Yukon Gold Potatoes. They have such a creamy, almost buttery texture that makes them so addictive. When prepared just partially mashed, or "smashed", they are delicious. I did not add roasted garlic, but you could, if desired. I did not peel the potatoes, but that's your choice. Shredded cheese could also be incorporated in this dish. Here's what I do.
SMASHED YUKON GOLD POTATOES WITH HERBS
from Lynda's Recipe Box

Ingredients:
2 pounds small Yukon Gold Potatoes, washed and scrubbed
1/2 cup of Half and Half
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon chopped, or more, fresh parsley
1 tablespoon fresh, chopped chives
4 tablespoons butter, unsalted
salt and pepper to taste (I used about 1 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper)

Place washed potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook potatoes until tender. Drain water off of potatoes. Add butter and let potatoes rest while butter melts. Now, take a potato masher and break up the potatoes. I like to leave small chunks in them. Add the half and half, sour cream and herbs and salt and pepper and stir into the potatoes with a spoon. Now, it's time to taste and adjust the salt and pepper,if needed. Also, if you need more sour cream, stir more in. It kind of goes by personal taste preference at this point as to how much cream, or salt and pepper to add. Next time I'll use a little more chives. These lovely golden potatoes are a perfect side dish for any entree. My next post will be the pork roast. Enjoy!

11 comments:

  1. everything mixed in, this sounds yummy!

    I never peal the potatoes. I like the texture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynda in a word ~YUM!

    What a great way to prepare them. I especially love the taste, texture and color Yukon potatoes bring to a recipe. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice way to prepare potatoes and I just had baked potatoes for my dinner tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm not in the habit of adding herbs to my mashed taters, but now that you mention it, they do add a lovely splash of color and flavor. i guess i'm usually focused on the cream and butter aspects. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh delicious - I love sour cream in mashed potatoes. Kids are funny - mine will always choose mashed. Paul and I always choose roasted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. creamy potatoes - i havent made these in a while!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These really sound delectable. They definitely fit into the "yum" category.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lynda, I LUV potatoes, I would LUV LUV LUV these. All the good stuff is here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Potatoes are a favorite and yours look so pretty too. I almost think the herbs are for looks rather than taste. I know that is not reality but it looks so good with the specks of the herbs popping out.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!