Monday, April 6, 2009

Red Velvet Cupcakes

Do you like Red Velvet Cake? This is a traditional southern cake which is now beloved all over the country. I've only made it a couple of times in the past. The first one I made, I thought was missing flavor, as it was so bland that I didn't try again for years. For some reason, my family doesn't eat cake very well. We'd rather have cookies, pies, sheet cakes, cobblers, and muffins. My family really doesn't care for most frosting's that much either, therefore, I don't bake many cakes. So, recently when I found this recipe in Better Homes and Gardens, I thought it was time to try again, only with cupcakes!

This is a delicious cupcake that is moist and very flavorful, topped with my creamy frosting. It will make a three layer cake or about 28-30 cupcakes. Yesterday, I used this recipe to make a 9x13 inch cake and 12 cupcakes. The cake was for a church dinner and the cupcakes for my family. All of the batter would have fit in the 9x13 pan, but it was just fine the way I made it too. For the cupcakes, make sure you only fill the liners 2/3 full as the cupcakes rise and spill over the edges making a flat top, not a peaked top. So let's make these luscious cupcakes!

RED VELVET CUPCAKES
3 eggs
3/4 cup butter
3 cups flour
1 Tbs. unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 tsp.salt
2 1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 1-ounce bottle red food coloring
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. vinegar
Let eggs and butter come to room temperature. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place cupcake liners in cupcake tins. In medium bowl combine flour and cocoa and 3/4 tsp. salt. In a large bowl, beat butter with a mixer until creamy. Add sugar and vanilla and mix until combined. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Then, mix in red food coloring. Next, alternately beat in flour mixture with buttermilk on medium low speed, just until combined. Stir together baking soda and vinegar; add to batter and beat until just combined. Fill cupcake liners only 2/3 full. Bake about 15 minutes until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean. Cool and frost.
CREAMY FROSTING
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 stick butter, softened
3 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 tsp. vanilla
1 Tbs. or more of half and half, ( can also use milk or buttermilk)
In a large bowl, beat together cream cheese and butter until creamy. Add powdered sugar and beat until smooth. Add in vanilla and half and half and beat until creamy. Add extra half and half if needed, 1 tsp. at a time until you reach the consistency that you desire. Frost these lovely cupcakes and enjoy! If you make a layer cake, this will not be enough frosting. You'd have to double the recipe, or make a recipe that is specifically for a three layer cake.
This is a very addictive, moist cupcake and I will make this recipe again!
If given a choice, would you rather have cake to eat, or a slice of pie? Let me know in the comments!

13 comments:

  1. I have been searching for the perfect red velvet cupcake recipe, I must try this one! And I'm totally a cake person, I'd choose it over pie any day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the picture with the bites taken! I just want to finish it off!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have me drooling - they look so good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. these look perfect
    i think i would loke to make them for my kids just for a change form our regular weekly cake
    (but i'll miss out the red food colouring - it's not easy to get it on our island)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love pies, but I've never been known to pass up a piece of delicious looking cake either! I really like the idea of red velvet cupcakes. I haven't had any real success with red velvet cake so I'll be sure to save this one. (lips smacking!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Talk about decadent! I'm starving and would love one for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This recipe sounds wonderful - will have to give it a try. I think my tastebuds have changed with age. As a child I liked cake best, but now I really enjoy a good piece of pie. Off topic - I noticed that a runaway plane from Canada landed in MO. Was that far from you?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for visiting, Belinda. The plane you are referring to was quite a distance away from us, almost staight east, clear across the state. The plane landed safely, thankfully.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We don't eat much cake either. I made red velvet for the first time this year and absolutely loved it! It wasn't at all what I expected. And my fave frosting is cream cheese. BTW, I have an award for you on my blog. Please visit to pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had Red Velvet cake one time and it was the best ever, but I've never made it. I think I will try these cupcakes tho. They look so yummy!
    Thanks for your prayers for my daugther-in-law. You are rigt...they do help.

    ReplyDelete
  11. of course i love red velvet cake. let me rephrase--of course i love authentic red velvet cake. would you believe some versions don't have cocoa powder? inconceivable!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never heard of/or had these cakes before, but they do look yummy. I must confess that though I like cake, I find frosting much too sweet for my tastes.

    You'd never believe that in my youth I had a real sweet tooth - now I still have candy hanging around from Christmas. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. My mouth is watering just looking at these pictures! your cupcake look moist and delicious, thank you for the recipe!

    Pandora from Home and Decor

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!