Friday, December 21, 2012

Turtle Bars

 Decadent and addictive, these delicious Turtle Bars are perfect for your holiday cookie trays. With a crisp, pecan infused shortbread-style crust that is topped with a thin layer of caramel, then topped with chocolate chips and more pecans, your taste buds will be in heaven. Really, these are to die for, and I got the recipe from Grace at A Southern Grace. She has some of the sweetest, gooeyest confections on the web. Today is my birthday and I was wanting a sweet treat besides cake, and these Turtle Bars really hit the spot.
 This is a major birthday for me, I mean it's like the 'BIG' one. I am the big '60'! I can't believe it; I remember when my mother turned 60 and I thought she was ssooooo old. Now I know how young she felt! Anyway, these Turtle Bars were are so good. The crust is crisp, with the butter and the pecans that are also ground in. There is a thin layer of caramel; wish there was a bit more, but there is plenty of flavor. Chocolate chips are sprinkled on the confection right out of the oven so they will melt and you can swirl through the chocolate some. Then topped will pecans makes these bars a perfect treat. Give them a try for the holidays, OK!
Turtle Bars
Adapted only slightly from Grace

Crust:
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 cup pecans, chopped

Filling:
2/3 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
pinch of salt
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips-I used Dark Chocolate chips that I had
3/4 cup pecans, chopped

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Add crust ingredients to a food processor and process until fine crumbs. Pour into an ungreased 9x13 inch baking pan. Pack the crumbs firmly down evenly to form a crust.
Add  the 2/3 cup butter, the 1/2 cup brown sugar, and salt to a sauce pan. Cook over medium heat until it begins to boil. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly, and then pour evenly over the crust. Bake for 18-22 minutes, until all the caramel is bubbling. Don't over bake! Remove from the oven; sprinkle evenly with chocolate chips. Let set for 2-3 minutes and swirl melted chocolate chips with a knife. Leave some whole if desired. Sprinkle with the chopped pecans and press nuts gently into the chocolate. (I sprinkled a little coarse salt over the bar, but it sort of disappeared). Cool, cut into bars, and enjoy! Merry Christmas!



18 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Lynda! I hit the big 60 almost 4 years ago(Feb). These Turtle Bars are the perfect way to celebrate--they look delicious.
    I hope you have a blessed birthday! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Tricia! I'm so pleased that you stop by and leave comments....makes me very happy!

      Delete
  2. Wow, that's my kinda bar!! Anything "turtle" style with nuts, chocolate and caramel is right up my alley. Happy belated birthday Lynda - hope you had a joyful one!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks decadent Lynda. happy BD and Merry Chritmas - wish I was only 60.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Larry; Merry Christmas to your family.
      You don't look a day over 50! :)

      Delete
  4. i didn't realize it was your birthday, and 60, no less! happy belated birthday, happy holidays, and happy turtle-eating. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a tasty treat - chocolate and pecans and shortbread are so near and dear to my heart. I turned 60 over the summer and am still reconciling that! Happy Birthday! I am told it is the new - 40? And Merry Christmas, Lynda to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday and holiday best wishes to you, Lynda. In many ways, life begins at 60. I think I have room on my buffet for one more cookie. These bars are too good to pass up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy; I've kind of felt a new beginning coming on, a new time of life.

      Delete
  7. What a fabulous treat! I stopped by to wish you Merry Christmas and I'm leaving with a recipe. There is no hope for me :-). I hope you have a wonderful holiday. Hugs and Christmas blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you had a Merry Christmas, Lynda. (I posted a message yesterday, but I see it didnt go through.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I showed my husband a picture of these, and 20 minutes later they are in the oven. Just for fun I added 6 Trader Joes salted caramels to the filling.

    Our kids threw a surprise 60th birthday party for my husband and I, as we share a birthday month. They surprised us so well I did the ugly cry. ;) There is much to enjoy about being 60!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your idea of adding extra caramels. I actually wanted a bit more caramel in this recipe. Thanks for the comment.

      And yes, I'm enjoying being 60-it's a great time of life!

      Delete
  11. What a wonderful birthday treat, Happy Birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!