Monday, November 5, 2012

Slow Cooker Barbecue Chicken Sandwiches

 Who doesn't love a great tasting meal from the Crock Pot? Theses delicious Slow Cooker Barbecue Chicken Sandwiches will hit the spot anytime of year, but they were especially good during a very busy couple of days. I babysit with my 2 adorable granddaughters, ages 3 years, and the other is 4 months. Let me tell you, this grandma gets tired sometimes, so a tasty slow cooker meal is a real blessing. I usually make my own barbecue sauce for this, but was too tired to care last week, so I used our favorite bottled sauce and added a sauteed onion to the pot too. The sauteed onion really adds extra flavor to the meat.
 The result was a very flavorful and easy meal. I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts this time, but boneless thighs will work just as well. In years past I've even used a whole chicken in the slow cooker to make sandwiches, but there is a lot of waste with the bones and skin. However it does work, either way you want to do it. This isn't a fancy meal, but sometimes you just want something easy on hand for those hectic days.
Slow-Cooker Barbecue Chicken Sandwiches
From Lynda's Recipe Box
This is so easy you don't really need a recipe, but here's what I do. Made 8 large sandwiches for us, but can be stretched to make more. If you want fewer sandwiches, cut the recipe in half, or freeze some of the meat for another meal.

Ingredients:
3 pounds of boneless-skinless chicken breasts, or thighs
1 large onion
1- 18 ounce bottle of your favorite barbecue sauce, or use  your homemade sauce
salt and pepper
buns

Directions:
Spray the inside of your crock pot with cooking spray. Salt and pepper the chicken breasts and lay them evenly in the crock pot.
Slice or dice the onion. In a skillet over medium high heat, add 1 tablespoon of oil or butter and the onion. Saute the onion until it begins to brown around the edges. Then add the onion to the chicken in the pot. Pour the bottle of Barbecue sauce evenly over the chicken. Cook on low until the chicken breasts, or thighs, can be easily shredded with a fork, 31/2 - 41/2 hours, depending on how fast your crock pot cooks. When done, remove the chicken to a pan and shred the meat using 2 forks. Pour the sauce over the meat and serve. Or you can add the shredded chicken back to the crock pot if desired. Enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. I agree... the crockpot is fantastic. When I was working and came home tired, it was so nice to walk into the house and have dinner all set. Wish I was closer to my granddaughters to babysit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The crock pot is a life saver when you work.
      The grandkids are so fun Karen; maybe someday you'll be closer to yours.

      Delete
  2. The crockpot is a blessing. I used it in the past when I was working & I still use it even though I'm home all day. For barbecue recipes I add a cup of gingerale or cola and garlic to the other ingredients you have listed. I serve these sandwiches with french fries & cole slaw. Any extra barbecue is frozen. My family loves this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tricia, I love your addition of cola to this......I'll have to try it your way next time!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks a good looking sandwich Lynda - we need to make better use of our crockpot

    ReplyDelete
  5. don't get me wrong--i love pulled pork barbecue. however, there's something about pulled chicken barbecue that makes it just a little bit better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lynda - I took care of my two grandkids when they were the ages of yours and I know how exhausting it can be. I think the crockpot is a busy grandma's best friend. These sandwiches look so delicious.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!