Monday, November 14, 2011

Easy Cranberry and Apple Cake from Ina Garten

 This is an awesome tasting cake. One reason I wanted to try this cake was because it is small. Since my husband and I are now empty nesters, I don't want lots of dessert sitting around. Another reason for this cake is because I love cranberries and apples together. The cranberries and apple are mixed with brown sugar, cinnamon, orange juice and zest, and placed in baking dish. Then batter is spread over the berry mixture and it bakes and is ready to eat as soon as it comes out of the oven, if you wish! And boy does it smell good while baking! It is better served warm, so there's no torture waiting for it to cool down. Add whipped cream or ice cream if you wish. I like it best without adornment, so I can taste the lovely tart fruit that is infused with cinnamon and orange. I'm addicted. The only changes I made were minor; I used low fat sour cream because that's what I had. I only used the zest from 1 orange, instead of 2. This Cranberry and Apple Cake would be delicious anytime, even for Thanksgiving dinner. I even had it for breakfast this morning (hehe). I hope you'll give it a try.
Easy Cranberry and Apple Cake
adapted slightly from Ina Garten
NOTE: There is no baking powder or soda in this recipe.
12 ounces fresh cranberries
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and diced
1/2 cup light brown sugar
zest of 1 orange- Ina says 2 oranges zested
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
1 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided ( 1/8 teas. for topping)
2 large eggs- Ina uses extra large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar, plus 1 tablespoon for topping
1 stick unsalted butter - 1/4 pound
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup sour cream - I used lowfat because that's what I had
1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
Combine cranberries, diced apple, brown sugar, orange juice and zest, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon in a bowl. Set aside.
In a large bowl, beat the eggs on medium high speed for 2 minutes. Add the 1 cup sugar, melted butter, vanilla and sour cream and beat until just combined. Slowly add the flour and salt at low speed.
Pour the fruit mixture into a 10 inch pie plate. Pour or spoon the batter over the fruit, covering completely. Sprinkle top with mixture of 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon and 1 tablespoon sugar. Bake for 55-60 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature. Try not to eat the whole thing!

8 comments:

  1. I also love the cranberry-apple combination and small is good for me. I am of the school of thought of "I'm not hungry, I'll just pick!" And this is what I'd like to pick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely my kind of cake! It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks wonderful - I love the cranberry & apple combination.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely recipe. It is really hard to beat the cranberry and apple combination. This sounds delicious and I'd love to have a serving of it at any time of day. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh,I think anything of Ina's is just about perfection. This looks like a really nice autumn cake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy to connect with you, Lynda! What wonderful collection of comfort foods you have here on your blog, lovely! Looking forward to getting to know you better....

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, so soft and fluffy! also, the combination of apples and cranberries is such a good one. right on, ina (and lynda)! :)

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!