Monday, December 20, 2010

Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake from Paula Deen

Do you still need to come up with a dessert idea for Christmas, or like me, a pot luck dinner? We had our annual Christmas pot luck at our church on Sunday and I wanted to whip up something different, so I gave this Paula Deen recipe a try. I've got to tell you I almost backed out of making this when I saw the ingredient list, but decided it was a Christmas dinner after all! Who counts calories at Christmas? This gooey, decadent dessert was a great hit at the dessert table, with hardly a piece left!
I loved the gooey texture and creamy pumpkin flavor. It is really rich though, so rich that my kids didn't really enjoy it. So, I may not make this for my family again, however, the recipe will be in my file for future pot lucks! It is easy to assemble, tastes great and the gooey factor makes it rather decadent, especially when topped with homemade whipped cream!

The recipe has a very high 5 star rating on Paula' site. My photos don't do it justice, but when in a hurry to get to the dinner, this was the best I had time to do. I topped this Pumpkin Gooey butter Cake with whipped cream and dusted it with ground cinnamon. Let me know if you give this recipe a try. Now here's what you do:


PUMPKIN GOOEY BUTTER CAKE - from Paula Deen
Ingredients
Cake layer:
1 18 1/4 ounce package yellow layer cake mix
1 egg
8 tablespoons melted butter
Filling:
1 15 ounce can pumpkin
1 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened at room temperature
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
8 tablespoons melted butter
1 16 ounce box powdered sugar (yup, you read that right)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg- I only used 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, the egg, and 8 tablespoons of melted butter. Mix thoroughly and pat into a greased 9x13 inch baking pan.
To prepare the filling, beat cream cheese and pumpkin together in a large bowl.
Add eggs, vanilla and butter and combine well. Now add the powdered sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg and mix well.
Spread filling over the cake mixture. Bake for 40-50 minutes. Make sure not to over bake as the center should be a bit gooey. Over baking will also make the bottom layer too dry. Serve with whipped cream and a dusting of cinnamon if desired. Enjoy!




11 comments:

  1. I think it looks wonderful. I love all things pumpkin! And, you're right, noone should be counting calories at Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE THIS DESSERT!!!! I made it a couple years ago after watching her make it on best dishes-yummmmy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my - this does look ooey-gooey delicious. Paula Deen doesn't shy away from caloric ignredients - but that's what makes it taste so sublime. I don't "need" another Christmas dessert but it doesn't mean I won't add one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great dessert and so simple to make. I have made her gooey butter cake and we LOVE it!!! I'm telling you that you cannot go wrong with a Paula Deen recipe. I always have success with her recipes. I will try this sometime after the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leave it to Paula to come up with a super rich dessert. My family loves this along with Paula's other versions of this cake. You are right, it's great for a crowd.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep...I make these often. they are evil

    ReplyDelete
  7. These cakes are pretty good but why wouldn't they be?! I've made this one for the holidays and it is always well received. Y'all don't blame it on Queen Deen though - these gooey butter cakes have been a long time favorite in community cookbooks in the south for as long as I've been around. She just kinda made 'em famous, though this one is definitely right up her buttah alley isn't it? :)

    Hope you have a wonderful Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. yes...this is an awesome riff on the regular gooey butter cake. i'm so glad to have that one in my repertoire!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks really interesting. It is the kind of dessert that has great holiday appeal. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks so wonderful! I made this a long time ago, and thought it was super easy and quite tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is really different and sounds delicious! I love all that gooey stuff going on.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!