Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Steakhouse Potato Salad

Our wonderful daughter-in-law made this yummy potato salad for Memorial Day and it was devoured by all. After all, it contains bacon and cheese, so whats not to like? This potato salad is mayonnaise based, so sorry to those of you who prefer a lighter dressing. You'll find a lighter potato salad recipe here. I enjoy having more than one potato salad recipe, and this one is so easy to prepare. The potatoes can be cooked in the microwave, if desired. However, I'm not much at using the microwave for cooking, so I boiled them. The dressing is rather thick, so next time I may thin it with a bit of milk, or buttermilk. Be sure to weigh the potatoes, otherwise you won't have enough dressing to cover them if you are very much over three pounds. I hope you'll give this a try! I'll be making this again.

STEAKHOUSE POTATO SALAD
adapted from Kraft

3 pounds small red potatoes
1/2 cup mayonnaise- recipe calls for Miracle Whip
1/4 cup Ranch dressing
6 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
4 green onions, sliced- I used 2 very large one from the farmer's market

Place potatoes in a sauce pan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, and add 1 teaspoon salt to the water. Reduce heat and simmer, covered until the potatoes can be pierced with a fork. Drain off the water. Cool the potatoes completely. I placed them in the refrigerator to chill. Cut the potatoes into bite sized pieces and place in a large bowl. Add the sliced green onions, cheese and bacon. Stir together the mayo and the Ranch Dressing and pour over the potato mixture. Gently stir together and chill completely before serving. Enjoy!

I've had such a rushed week; we made 2 trips to Kansas City to the airport this past week. That was a 6 hour round trip for us, but we took our DIL so she could fly to her parents home in Florida. On our first trip, I got to spend some time with a friend from school, that I hadn't seen in quite a while. It was such fun to catch up!
My wonderful Mother-in-law was in the hospital again for a few days. She is 90, so that's always a cause for concern.
And, son Number 2 is getting married, so there is going to be a wedding in July! So as you can see, my week has been full. I haven't cooked much at all! Have a wonderful week, my friends!

15 comments:

  1. Potato Salad simplified. It sure is tempting me, though I'd have to agree with you on thinning down the dressing a bit. Congrats to your son.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting to have a wedding coming up. Love the addition of bacon and cheese to this potato salad. Every once in awhile I like to try a new version of a dish I make often during the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. boo mayonnaise, hooray bacon and cheese and potatoes! yes, the good definitely outweighs the bad in this concoction. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like a great recipe. Did you use Miracle Whip? It has such a distinct flavor. I like it with some things, but not much with potato salad. I've also never used ranch dressing, but have seen it used several times. Can't wait to try it.
    You're having a busy summer so far. Hope your MIL is doing better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barbara, I used mayo instead of the miricle whip, because that's what I had. I used to always use Miricle Whip in potato salad but have changed the past few years. It does have a different flavor than mayo, and is good in many recipes, IMO! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great potato salad! I like the combination of mayo and ranch dressing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This salad looks incredibly satisfying. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds absolutely splendid! I adore everything in there, I'll leave the lighter dressings to someone else :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have had this kind of potato salad before. It is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy looking potato salad, I love tha addition of bacon and cheese, but then who wouldn't?

    It sounds like you've had a busy old week. Sorry to read about your mum in law, but many congrats to your son.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like this one a lot. The bacon and mayo work for me. I'm a sucker for good potato salad anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Perhaps this is the potato salad recipe to win me over. It does have bacon and everything's better with bacon. :)
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  13. it's true that mayonanise has got a bad name as a fatty food, and the truth is that it doesnt figure much in my cooking, but i always have it on hand, and i love my potato salads dressed in it - there is always a place for everything!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The recipe never says anything about when to add the cheese. I'm assuming it is with the bacon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry I omitted that, but you are right. Just add the cheese with the bacon. I'll update the recipe - thanks for the input!

      Delete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!