Sunday, June 20, 2010

Buffalo Chicken Wings! On the Grill or in the Oven!

A happy Father's Day to all the wonderful Fathers reading this! I hope you had a wonderful day. I grilled today; just some easy burgers, polish sausages and these delicious chicken wings. I don't crave wings like some do, but a couple of the guys in my family are crazy about them. So I looked for a recipe and this one was a huge hit. I had to get a photo quickly before they disappeared! The smoky, grilled flavor was an instant hit with my barbecue lovers, so I'll be making these again. I have to admit, I really enjoyed them too, even though I felt like a fire breathing dragon for a short time. These wings are spicy, but my oldest son said they actually could be hotter! I had left out the cayenne pepper from the sauce, so if you enjoy lots of fire, you might want to add it in. I cooked these wings on a charcoal grill, but I'll give you directions for the oven too. I hope you'll try these and let me know how you liked them. BUFFALO CHICKEN WINGS-On The Grill or in The Oven!
Adapted from this recipe at Serious Eats and Cook's Illustrated

3 pounds chicken wings, tips cut off and discarded, and cut in half at the joint
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
Cut off the wing tips and discard, or freeze them to make broth. Cut through joints of wings with a sharp knife. Pat chicken dry with paper towels and season both sides with the salt, pepper and cayenne.

Wing Sauce:
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup hot sauce-I used Franks Original Hot Sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons Tabasco Sauce-I omitted this, but if you like it hot, use it!
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper- I omitted, but again use it if you want.
In a sauce pan, add all of the ingredients and bring to a boil. Remove from heat.


For the Grill: Set up the grill with coals on one side for indirect grilling. When fire is hot and ready, place wing portions on side not over the coals. I let them cook about 15 minutes this way with the lid down. The fire was hot and some of the fat was released from the wings. Then move the wings over the coals for another 15 minutes, or so until they are browned and crisp looking, but not burned. Cooking time will depend on how hot your fire is. Remember to turn them over while cooking. I had to move them once because my fire was a bit hot. When done, remove wings from grill and place in a non reactive pan or bowl. Pour the sauce over the wings and stir to completely coat them with the sauce. Serve while hot. Enjoy!

For the oven: Season the wings. Line a shallow baking sheet with aluminum foil and coat with cooking spray. Place wings on the pan and bake in a 425 degree oven, about 25-30 minutes, or longer until they are golden and the skin is crispy. Turn them over about halfway through cooking. You can even place them under the broiler for the last 5 minutes or so, but you must pour off any accumulated grease in the pan first. Remove wings from oven and place in a non reactive bowl with the sauce. Stir to coat, and serve immediately. Your taste buds will love these!

18 comments:

  1. Haha, I too posted wings for Fathers Day. Mine dried out due to the recipe I used. They were oven roasted and the time given was way too long. I'll have to try this one now that you have given me the correct oven time.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the easiest ways to please the guys in my family is to put spicy chicken wings on the grill. I get lots of protests if I try to tone down the heat. They look delish, Lynda.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! They look great! I will have to try them on the grill the next time! Love all that hot sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The hubby will love these. Think I'll give him your recipe and turn him loose. Thanks Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of grilling them, smart thinkin! These look yummy and I will grill them next time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum,Yum!! THey look devine:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks great I got the black rice from the Great American Spice co online Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love hot wings on the grill too. Sometimes I use a buffalo sauce like this, but my favorite is Symon's sriracha wings.

    Gorgeous looking wings here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hubby loves buffalo wings, and we both love spicy food, so I'll have to give this a whirl.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We love hot wings - and we love Franks Red Hot!

    ReplyDelete
  11. although i'd never omit those spicy ingredients for my own batch, i'm sure i'd love these gorgeous wings any which way they came into my mouth. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Buffalo wings are a weakness of mine - I so want to grab them off the page and start nibbling. I am doing your balsamic chicken tomorrow (it's actually marinating now) and these will be on my list also!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look super! We love wings around here. I love the addition of the brown sugar to the sauce...sweet and spicy :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. These really sound delicious! I love that they are not fried. I've bookmarked this recipe, Lynda. My grandson's will be visiting soon and I know they will love these. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are going on the menu for my next party! Thrilled to see a version that isn't fried!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am excited to be your newest follower! :) Everything looks so good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG....those look good!! I also omit they little extra punches of heat....you want the wings hot but still edible...
    great job with those babies!
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  18. I tried those tonight and they are great! A recipe to keep and make again and again. Thanks. Caroline
    http://doitallworkingmom.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!