Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Corn and Potato Chowder with Butternut Squash and Ham

We had some unseasonably cool weather early this week , so my cravings turned to thoughts of soup. Looking through my fridge, I found that I had the makings for a really good chowder. I looked through numerous recipes, all a little different, and decided on a recipe of my own making so that I could use the ingredients I had on hand. This chowder turned out to be delicious! We loved how the smokey flavor of the ham contrasted with the sweetness of the butternut squash and corn. I used unpeeled red skinned potatoes, but you could use whatever variety you like. A pinch of cayenne pepper added a subtle "kick" of flavor to this amazing soup. I made a small batch, but now wish it had been larger as my husband and I both loved it. This chowder is very satisfying and easy to make. Let me show you how.
CORN and POTATO CHOWDER with BUTTERNUT SQUASH and HAM
1 cup diced onion
1 tablespoon butter
2 cups of fresh or frozen corn (thawed)
1 cup diced ham
2 cups diced potatoes (I used red skinned)
2 cups butternut squash, peeled and diced
1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
1 T. corn starch or 2 T. flour
2 cans low fat, low sodium chicken broth
3/4 cup half and half
salt and pepper to taste
pinch of cayenne pepper
Prepare all the vegetables before starting the chowder. Heat the butter in a soup pot. When butter is melted, add the onion to the pan and cook until soft. Add the corn and ham and stir and let corn roast a minute. Mix the chicken broth and the cornstarch and add to the pan. Bring to a boil; stir in the diced potatoes,red pepper and squash. Cover pan with a lid and reduce heat. Simmer for 15 minutes, or until the potatoes and squash are tender. Pour in the half and half and heat through, but do not boil. Remove chowder from the heat. Adjust the seasonings. I only needed about 1/2 teaspoon of salt because the ham was salty. A couple a shakes of the pepper shaker was enough because I added a pinch of cayenne pepper. Ladle into bowls and enjoy! Makes about 7 cups of delicious chowder! The squash and the red pepper give this chowder a rich color and great flavor. Next time I will add a little more corn, but that's the only change I'll make. I'll be making this tasty chowder again and again!

28 comments:

  1. The picture alone says it all - just beautiful! Looks so flavorful and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a nice colorful soup that is full of fall flavors. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so perfect for fall! We've got some cooler weather heading our way and I can't wait to make soup!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore chowders and this has ham and squash - taking it from summer to autumn. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful soup - I love all the flavors you used.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lynda – years ago, Corn Chowder was the first thing I ever cook by myself and I always love to see what other cooks are doing to put a creative spin on this classic. You win the prize for sure. Can’t wait to try your delicious twist!

    Great blog – glad I stumbled upon it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Butternut squash is one of my favorite fall foods. Everything you put in that soup looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What gorgeous color! This looks and sounds delicious. I love the addition of squash to the chowder. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummie, your chowder looks delicious and so colorful, which makes the dish very desirable...nice pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to pick my bowl up and just drink this gorgeous soup all in. It looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow..your soups title is a mouthfull. Hmmm, make me think, I would love to have a mouthfull of that soup
    ! YUM

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful soup, I love the butternut squash & ham here, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Leslie, yes, my soup title is too long- couldn't decide what to call it!

    George, thanks for stopping by... hope you'll visit often!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a healthy, colorful soup! It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooooh, Lynda, this looks so so good. I love soups and chowders, especially this time of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been in a soup mood too - though the cooler weather hasn't made it's way here to Mississippi quite yet. This soup looks amazing and I have a butternut squash coming in my Angel Food box I think. Just need some ham - this is the 2nd recipe this morning I've seen with ham! I think I need a ham LOL!!

    Generally I'm not big on the plain BNS soups, but this recipe sounds fantastic! And your pictures are gorgeous.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. i really enjoy the vibrant colors coming through, as well as the flavors those ingredients provide. this is a lovely, body- and soul-warming soup, lynda--excellent work.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, could you get more flavor in a hearty fall soup? I don't think so. Love the addition of butternut squash. Now soup is on my mind. Better make some.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow that is on my list of things to make! I have to tell you my mother in law tried something similar last week and it looked nothing like this!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a beautiful bowl of goodness! This sounds amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such a lovely and delicious fall soup!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This soap was wonderful! Totally a new fav! I used butternut squash puree instead of chunks and bacon instead of ham. It took a long time for the potatoes to cook in the soap for me, so next time I might start boiling them on their own when I start cooking and then adding them to the soap when they're at least halfway done.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Jennifer, so glad you liked the soup; I diced my potatoes rather small, so they would cook more quickly.
    I love your idea of pureed squash in the soup- I'll have to try that. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  24. My goodness, what a colorful looking soup. I like all the ingredients that were used to make this delicious looking soup. Thanx for posting the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fantastic. I made with yellow squash one night, no bell-peppers, and added carrots since my fridge was paltry. For me I make it with vegetarian onion broth, but I'm cooking it again right now more like the recipe- can't wait to try that butternut. I did pulverise a potato to thicken it up, though I might try more corn starch tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you liked my soup, and I like your changes and ideas too!

      Delete
  26. All I have to say is Delicious! Happened to come across your site while browsing for healthy soup recipes. I just made this and it's oh so wonderful. I added more corn and opted out the cayenne pepper (personal preference) but was delicious :) Thanks so much for sharing. Defiantly a fan of your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback Amanda; glad you liked it and were able to make it work for you. Glad to have you as a reader and fan!

      Delete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!