Friday, January 30, 2015

Homemade Chili

 We have battled the flu and computer problems for the past month and now it's already time for the Super Bowl. How time flies when life gets busy! But I thought I'd share my go to chili. I have to admit that I've never followed a recipe when I make chili, so for all the years of my life I have just winged it. Considering that I turned 62 in December, that's a lot of years. So the past few times I finally began writing it down.We like a thick, meaty chili with beans, that is fragrantly spicy, but not fiery. Some hot cayenne pepper can always be added for more heat, or Ro-tel tomatoes can be used instead of plain tomatoes. I made the last batch of chili this week after my husband finally kicked the flu. He said it really hit the spot! Chili is a perfect Super Bowl food around these parts and is perfect for this cold weather that much of the country is enduring. Here's my recipe.
My Homemade Chili
From Lynda's Recipe Box
I add a little brown sugar to the chili because I think it really compliments the spices nicely.

2 pounds ground beef chuck
1 large onion, diced
1/2 of a poblano pepper or bell pepper, diced
1-2 tablespoon oil
4 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tablespoons of chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 - 15 ounce can crushed tomatoes
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can chili beans in sauce
1 tablespoon light brown sugar, packed
2/12 - 3 cups water
salt and pepper to taste

In a dutch oven over medium-high heat, brown the ground chuck in 1-2 tablespoons of oil. Before the meat is completely browned add the onion, pepper and garlic. When meat is browned and the onion is softened, remove excess grease from the pot if needed. Stir in the chili powder, cumin, about 1 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste. Stir the spices into the meat mixture and let cook just for a minute. Lower the temperature if needed so the spices don't burn.
Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, brown sugar, drained black beans and chili beans with sauce. Add the water and stir, scraping up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan.
Place lid on the pot and simmer over low heat for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, and adding water if needed.
Remove lid. If chili is too thick add extra water to get the consistency that you want. If too runny, cook the chili uncovered, until it thickens to the desired constancy. Stir often to keep the chili from sticking or burning. Taste chili and adjust the seasonings. May need more salt and pepper, and if you want it hotter add 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper. Serve with several choices of toppings, such as onion, sour cream, shredded cheese, cilantro, chips, etc. Enjoy!
Click here for more Super Bowl food ideas.


4 comments:

  1. Good looking bowl of what may be the ideal winter comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh, brown sugar--nice touch! i firmly believe that chili should always contain beans. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect for any winter day! Hope you are all doing well now! Your just a baby! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great comfort food for the cold days!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!