Tuesday, August 6, 2013

I'm Back with an Oil and Vinegar Potato Salad Recipe

 I thought I'd drop in and share a quick, delicious potato salad recipe that I made recently. It is so easy to put together and is healthy, delicious and perfect for hot weather. Made with a dressing of red wine vinegar and olive oil, it stays light and tangy and complements just about any main dish from grilled and smoked meats, fried chicken, sandwiches and anything else you can think of. It is yummy served room temperature or cold. So if you like a light and tangy potato salad, this recipe is for you. I will caution you to not over-cook the potatos though as this salad is best when the potatoes hold their shape and are not mushy. So watch them carefully while they boil.
As a quick update, I am doing well with my new knee. It has been almost 3 months since my surgery and I am walking so much better. I have awhile before I'll be back to normal, but I'm getting there. I'm more interested in cooking again, so more recipes are on the way! Thanks for all the well wishes and prayers that you have sent my way!
 Now, here's the recipe.
Oil and Vinegar Potato Salad
Adapted from here

1 1/2 pounds new, small red potatoes, scrubbed and diced
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/3 cup olive oil
1/2 cup sliced green onions, or 1/2 of a small red onion diced
1 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
2-3 teaspoons of mustard, if desired- I used 2 teas.

Add diced new potatoes to a pot; cover with cold water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are just tender, (mine took about 5-10 minutes depending on how small you dice them).
Boil potatoes only until they are just tender. Drain them well, and spread the potatoes out on a baking sheet to cool. (I usually place them in the fridge to hurry up the cooling.)
Put cooled potatoes into a bowl with the diced onions. Mix the dressing ingredients together and pour over the potatoes and onions. Stir gently; serve immediately, or refrigerate for later. So easy and yummy - enjoy!

18 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you are doing well. Love this recipe, especially for summer picnics, etc. A nice change from the traditional mayo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Carolina vinegar based BBQ sauce and vinegar based slaws but I haven't tried the same with potato salad like this. I'' venture to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to hear from you Lynda and glad the recovery continues.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's wonderful to know that things are getting back to normal for you, lynda--you've been missed!
    i love this type of potater salad--that mayonnaisey stuff is for the birds. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace, I've missed you and everyone else too!

      Delete
  5. I think I'd prefer this to a mayo based salad. Will have to remember it! Glad to hear you're on the mend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still like mayo based salad too, but my hubby much prefers this one.
      Thanks Karen!

      Delete
  6. Happy to see you're back. I love mayo based potato salad but this recipe looks like it would be good too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear you're doing well. I love mayo-based potato salad but this recipe looks like it would be a nice change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I still like the mayo salad too Tricia, but this one just feels so healthy, so I make it just just as often.

      Delete
  8. Your potato salad is perfect for the hot weather of summer. Happy that you are making good progress with your knee.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to hear you're doing well, Lynda! It sounds like you'll be good as new before long. This potato salad sounds great! I like that it doesn't have a mayo base so want to try it. Bookmarked and thanks for the recipe. Take care...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome back! I love your Oil and Vinegar Potato Salad Recipe. Always like lighter dressing than mayo in my potato salad.

    ReplyDelete
  11. looks delicious...just mouthwatering!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!