Sunday, October 21, 2012

Broccoli and Orange Salad

 Crisp broccoli, toasted almonds, tangy oranges  with a yummy dressing make up this delicious version of Broccoli Salad.
I posted this recipe over 3 years ago not long after I started this blog and I decided it needed an update, especially the photo. This is one of my husbands favorites. We both love the citrus twist on this salad with the mandarin oranges, but if that doesn't appeal to you, they can be left out. Other nuts like pecans, walnuts, or sunflower kernels can be used instead of almonds. The dressing makes quite a bit, so sometimes I don't need all of it. It will depend on personal preferences, and how much broccoli you use. I purchase broccoli very often and love it in this salad, so hope you'll give it a try. It makes a pretty dish to add to any holiday table.
Broccoli and Orange Salad
From Lynda's Recipe Box-inspired by several recipes that I combined

6-8 sliced of bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
1 pound or more of broccoli -I used about 5 cups of florets and diced small stems. Could use a bit more to use all the dressing.
1/2 of a small red onion, diced
1/2 cup dried cranberries- Craisens
1/2 cup sliced almonds, lightly toasted
11 ounce can of manadin oranges, well drained - I often use fresh mandarins, or another variety of small orange
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar

1. In a small bowl mix the mayonnaise, sugar and red wine vinegar to make the dressing. Set aside.
2. Cut up the broccoli, separating the florets into bite sized pieces, and slice the tender stalks also. Place into a large bowl.
3. Add the diced red onion, dried cranberries, almonds, mandarin oranges, and bacon. Add half of the dressing and mix well. Add as much of the remaining dressing as you want. Stir, cover and refrigerate at least an hour until chilled. Garnish with bacon or additional nuts if desired. Serve and enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. Yummy, that sounds good . Wish I could send you bunches of bananas from my garde

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love some homegrown bananas from you Amrita-how fortunate you are to have some!

      Delete
  2. Great flavors, textures, and colors in this salad. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i can't decide if i'd like this or not, lynda! broccoli is not my friend, but i love every other component. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thay's ok Grace; I know we aren't all created as broccoli lovers! :)

      Delete
  4. Dear Lynda, This salad sounds fresh and delicious, and it looks beautiful! Blessings my dear, your friend, Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!