Monday, January 3, 2011

Cheese and Jalapeno Corn Bread

My first meal of the New Year happened to be Ham and Beans, so I made my Cheese and Jalapeno Corn Bread to go with it. This particular recipe, which I've been making about 30 years, came from one of my old church cookbooks. This moist, cheesy, spicy corn bread is a favorite of ours and it has always been a hit served with beans, chili and soups. And it makes a great snack too. I hope you'll give it a try.
CHEESE and JALAPENO CORN BREAD
1 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1 heaping tablespoon flour
2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup buttermilk- or sour milk; see note 2 below
1/2 cup vegetable oil-I use canola
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup canned, cream style corn
3-6 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely diced- I only use 2-3 peppers, depending on the size
1/2 of a large green bell pepper, diced
4-5 green onions,white and green parts, chopped
1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, mix the corn meal, flour, salt and soda. Add the buttermilk, oil, eggs and corn and mix. Stir in the jalapenos, green pepper, onions and cheese. ( The original recipe says to pour half of corn meal mixture into pan, then the cheese, then the rest of batter. I just mix it all together.)
Grease a 9x13 inch baking pan and place in the hot oven until heated, about 5 minutes. Remove pan from oven and pour in the batter. Place back in the oven and bake for about 35 minutes until done. Cool for a couple of minutes before serving. Enjoy!
NOTE: Please wear gloves when working with jalapeno peppers. With a knife, split the pepper in half length wise. Using your knife, scrape out the seeds and membrane of the peppers. Not wearing gloves can cause intense burning of your skin. I speak from experience here, unfortunately. Sigh~
NOTE 2 : To Sour Milk: You can sub sour milk for the butter milk. Put 1 tablespoon white vinegar, or apple cider vinegar, into a measuring cup. Fill up to the 1 cup line with milk. Let it sit a minute or so. Then use it in the recipe like buttermilk.

13 comments:

  1. This looks fabulous. I love corn bread and this really brings it up a notch!I will most certainly give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those old church recipe books are the best!
    This looks marvelous...and divine with some chili!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wear gloves with jalapenos. But their flavor is so worth it. I love all the savories in this. And it looks wonderful. I make really bad cornbread. Maybe my luck will change with this recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm, I love corn bread and I love cheese...this looks like a great accompaniment to chili!

    ReplyDelete
  5. tis the perfect mate for some hearty ham and beans. lovely bread, lynda!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love jalapenos in cornbread... it just makes it SO tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tried this recipe for the first time last night. It turned out amazing. I only used 2 jalapenos as I'm not a huge fan of super spicy food and it delivered just the right amount of spice for me. I also made a bowl of turkey chili along with it...the perfect combo. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nifa- I'm so glad that you loved this cornbread; I only use 2 peppers too and it's just right for us, but some like more heat than us. Thank you for your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What temp should the oven be at? I hope I am not being blind and it is right there. Thanks for the recipe...exactly what I was looking for!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry! The oven should be preheated to 375 degrees. Will add that info-thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can you use regular milk? If so how much would equal? The same amount? Thanks
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous- If you can't use buttermilk, then use soured milk, which you can easily make. Put 1 tablespoon vinegar in a measuring cup.(white or apple cider). Fill up to the 1 cup mark with milk. Let sit about 1 minute, then use in the recipe. you can use this tip anytime you need buttermilk in a baking recipe, but don't have the buttermilk. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The cornbread is delicious. I reduced the salt by 1 tsp and added a touch of sugar. And used slightly less green pepper. It's nice to have a flexible recipe. Next time will use light olive oil in place of canola.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!