Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Panko Crusted Chicken with Mustard Maple Pan Sauce

I love finding tasty recipes to use for boneless-skinless chicken breasts. They are so quick and easy to use for weeknight dinners. This recipe for Panko Crusted Chicken is absolutely delicious with it's tangy Maple Sauce. The Panko is so crusty on this chicken and it does not get the least bit soggy like other breaded chicken. The Maple Pan Sauce is so good, I'd call it a restaurant quality dish. There was so much fabulous flavor from the mustard and the maple syrup that I licked my plate clean! Trust me, you won't want to wast a drop of this sauce. I am going to make it again tomorrow and it's going on my regular recipe rotation. I served it with oven-roasted potatoes, but it would be equally good with garlic mashed potatoes, or even a rice dish. Please try it, you won't be sorry!

Panko Crusted Chicken with Maple Pan Sauce
adapted from bon appetite
Ingredients
4 small chicken breasts, (or 2 large breasts cut in half)
1 large egg
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
1 cup panko crumbs- Japanese breadcrumbs
2-3 tablespoons oil-I used canola and olive oil - recipe calls for olive oil
salt and pepper

Sauce Ingredients:
1 cup low sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons coarse grained mustard
3 tablespoons real maple syrup
1 tablespoon unsalted butter

Preparation:
Using a meat mallet or rolling pin, pound the chicken breasts in a resealable bag, or between 2pieces of plastic wrap. Mix egg, parsley and 1 tablespoon Dijon in a shallow bowl. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Dip each chicken breast in the egg mixture, and turn to coat. Then dip each piece in the panko crumbs and turn to coat well, pressing crumbs on the chicken. .
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken; cook until brown and cooked through, about 4 minutes per side.
Meanwhile, whisk broth, syrup, coarse-grained mustard together in measuring cup.
Transfer chicken to plates. Add broth mixture to the skillet; boil until reduced to about 3/4 cup, stirring occasionally. Stir in the butter. Spoon sauce along side the chicken. Enjoy!

NOTE: I reduced the sauce a bit more the second time I made it so it would be more syrupy, but it tastes amazing either way you do it. I have reduced the mustard slightly in this recipe, so check out the link to see the original recipe.

14 comments:

  1. This looks SO good. YUM! I love anything with mustard and may have to try this one out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, I normally don't like chicken breasts but this looks amazing! I can't wait to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The mustard maple sauce sounds absolutely fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks delicious. I am loving the maple sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a "go-to" maple-mustard sauce I use for chicken. So you know - I must try this - it's such a grand combination and yes - it looks like licking the plate clean is not an unreasonable thing to do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cannot wait to make this, I love new chicken recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am making this as we "speak." I would love to feature this in the Examiner and link back to you. Just let me know. (Mattkirs@msn.com) Maple in autumn is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've only recently discovered how well mustard and chicken go together. This sounds super!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lynda, Thanks for your nice comment. Yes, Rick Bayless was a lot of fun.
    Your chicken recipe would be a great hit with my kids. I have used Panco on fish before but not on chicken. Great idea. Thanks for sharing.
    Let's visit soon again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love dressing up chicken breasts...this sounds wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds delish especially the sauce.
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks mighty tasty. I love working with panko.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I guess it's been a while since I've been here because I've bookmarked a half dozen of your simiply gorgeous and delicious recipes. I love chicken, and this sounds so very very good! Can't wait to try this soon!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!