Thursday, May 13, 2010

Cornbread Muffins

I think Cornbread Muffins are addictive, or at least these are! They are golden and crusty on the outside, sweet and moist on the inside. Spread with butter, or even honey-butter, these are so tasty! I don't care for cornbread that isn't sweet, but these muffins are just right. This is actually my cornbread recipe, but I decided to make muffins instead. I've made this recipe for a long time and don't really remember where it came from. I get 12 muffins from this recipe, or the cornbread can be baked in a 8x8 inch baking pan, or a cast iron skillet. Delicious! The weather here has been cool the last 2 days with a rainy cold front, so I made these muffins to go with my Hamburger Stew. Here's the recipe.
CORNBREAD MUFFINS
from Lynda's Recipe Box
Makes 12 muffins or an 8x8 inch pan of corn bread.
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk- I usually use 2%
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 large egg, beaten
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Spray muffin tins with cooking spray, or line with muffin liners.
In a large bowl, add the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt and whisk together.
In another bowl add the beaten egg, milk, and the melted butter that has been cooled. Whisk together and add to the dry ingredients. Stir all ingredients together just until combined. Over stirring will result in a tough muffin. Spoon batter into prepared muffin tins ( fill to the top), and bake for 10-15 minutes, or until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean and muffins are golden. (If baking in a baking pan for cornbread, it will need to bake for about 20 minutes.)
These wonderful muffins will be golden and crusty on the outside and tender inside. Enjoy!
NOTE: The original recipe used 1/2 cup of oil, instead of 1/2 cup of butter. Both work!


13 comments:

  1. I don't think there's anything better than a great cornbread muffin. With a salad, with soup (expecially chili) and for breakfast with a touch of butter and honey. Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh, I just adore cornbread. THese muffins look fabulous!
    *kisses* HH

    ReplyDelete
  3. my grandpa would poo-poo these--too much sugar, he'd say--but i love 'em. they're perfect for your stew or a great big bowl of chili!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those sweet cornbreads are indeed addicting and go with so many meals. And always elicit smiles. Your are singing to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wonderful looking. I also was raised to believe that sugar in cornbread was just wrong, but I've since seen the light :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love cornbread muffins! I've been looking for a good recipe - looks like I found it : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just may have to make these for breakfast tomorrow...gosh they look good! I'm with you. Cornbread has to be sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Living in Georgia, cornbread flows through our veins. Your recipe looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Corn bread is without doubt one of the best things going! Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Since my favorite part of cornbread is the crunchy crust, muffins are my choice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Moist and slightly sweet cornbread is addictive. Deliicous. Served up with a hamburger stew, even better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have to have my corn bread SWEET! These look scrumptious

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't made cornbread in ages and you've reminded me how much I like it. Making muffins is a good idea.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!