Friday, October 30, 2009

Pumpkin Pancakes- A Delicious Way to Start the Day!

My family loves having breakfast foods for dinner during the cooler months of the year, so earlier this week I decided to try making Pumpkin Pancakes. I had just enough pumpkin left over from making the Pumpkin Bread Pudding a few days earlier. I must say that these wonderful pancakes are delicious! They are not too sweet or too spicy, but flavored just right for a perfect Autumn breakfast, (or dinner!). Son Number 2 LOVED them, so I've made them twice already. This is the son that is reluctant to try new foods, so these pancakes surprisingly won him over! Actually, my whole family loved them, so this recipe is a deffinate keeper, as I'm sure I'll be making them often. The only trouble I had with these pancakes was trying to take a good picture before the butter melted! Here's the recipe.

Pumpkin Pancakes - slightly adapted from Martha Stewart
In a large bowl, add these ingredients:
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour ( I subbed 1/4 cup whole wheat flour for the 1/4 white)
2 T. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground ginger ( Martha calls for 1/2 tsp.)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
pinch of ground cloves
In a separate bow, mix together:
1 cup milk
6 Tablespoons canned pumpkin
2 T. melted butter
1 egg
Fold these ingredients into the flour mixture.
In a skillet or griddle over medium heat, add oil or butter; pour about 1/4 cup batter for each
pancake. Cook about 3 minutes per side and serve hot with butter and syrup. Yields about 8-10 pancakes. These are awsome Pumkin Pancakes! I hope you try them; your family will love you even more. Have a great weekend, my friends!



16 comments:

  1. Lynda, like you I often will have breakfast for dinner. There is something about eggs, bacon and pancakes that comfort one's soul after a long day; and it usually in quick & easy. These Pumpkin Pancakes sound marvelous, almost like dessert... and who wouldn't want just dessert for dinner! Great recipe & thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually I just made some pancakes for the dinner! The pancakes made with pumpkin sound really wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A winner... I love all the punkin stuff people are putting up this week... Must be that time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look wonderful. I suspect they taste as good as they look. Have a wonderful Halloween weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love pumpkin pancakes. I make a cheater version that is great so I can only imagine how good the "from Scratch" batch would taste!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great recipe. I have seen all the pumpkin recipes, the muffins, breads, risottos, soups, nothing struck my fancy. I want to try this.

    My daughter has a problem eating breakfast for anything but breakfast. I can't even get her to eat it for lunch! or brunch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lynda! I am a pumkin fan, however not a pancake fan. But this has inspired me to try out a new recipe using canned pumpkin. I saw a gorgeous recipe somewhere for a Pumpkin Angel Food Cake with Browned Maple Glaze that I will have to try, and try to find (thinking outside of the box).P.S.-No pumpkin risotto or pasta either, I like mine sweet not savory!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Flavorful and beautiful! These pancakes look so tasty. Excellent pix.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i prefer my pancakes fully saturated with butter and syrup, and i completely condone your serving suggestion here. lovely stack, lynda!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We enjoy breakfast for dinner often in our house. This is perfect for Halloween. The kids bellies would be full after a few of these pumpkin pancakes, just in time to o trick or treating.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea! I have trouble trying to get the photo before the butter melts too - I keep an extra pat on hand just for that!
    I have extra pumpkin puree left too, I should try this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well now, those look down right delicious and we used to have pancakes for supper all the time...so I could use some right now! Great shot actually!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my. These pancakes look amazing! So fluffy. I'd love some for dinner : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those look soo yummy, I love this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi ya
    First time here. You have a lovely space.
    These pancakes look so tempting and addition of pumpkin is interesting too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lynda, those pumpkin pancakes look great. I love pumpkin pancakes and need to make them again soon!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!