Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Dulce de Leche Cheesecake Bars Warning: May be Habit Forming!

Luscious. Awesome. Addictive. Words are not enough to explain these delicious Dulce de Leche Cheesecake Bars. The graham cracker crust is loaded with butter and cinnamon and baked until golden. The sweet creamy filling is silky smooth; rich, but not too rich to want more than one piece. The topping, oh the topping-pure Dulce de Leche thinned with cream and spread over the bars. The crowning glory. Major addiction going on here!
This is my first time using Dulce de Leche in a recipe because it is hard to find here, so I made my own. It is very thick, but velvety to the tongue. It made me want more and more. I may have eaten some from the can!
Dulce de Leche is a Latin American form of caramel, glorious caramel. I have seen it in several forms (on the web, not in my town). It can be found in the Hispanic section of many grocery stores, or in Hispanic markets. Here are some links for recipes to make your own dulce de leche. I made mine in the crock pot. To do this, remove the paper from cans of sweetened condensed milk, and lay them down in the crock pot. Add water to cover the cans to about an inch over the cans. Turn the crock pot on low setting and cook for 8 hours. You will have deliciously thick Dulce de Leche! Carefully remove cans from the crock pot and let them cool completely before trying to open. Here's a stove top recipe from Recipe Girl and various recipes from another source.
Here's the recipe I used for these bars. You must try these! DULCE de LECHE CHEESECAKE BARS
Crust:
2 1/4 cups finely crushed graham crackers
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
10 tablespoons unsalted, melted butter
Filling:
3 (8 ounce) packages of cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1/2 cup dulce de leche
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Glaze:
2/3 cup dulce de leche
3 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream- I used 4 tablespoons of half and half
Fleur de sel to sprinkle on top- (I did not use this; not found in my town)
PREPARATION:
Crust:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease the bottom of a 9x13 inch metal baking dish. Mix graham crackers crumbs, butter, sugar and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Pour crumb mixture into the baking pan and press evenly onto the bottom of the pan. Bake for about 10 minutes, until crust is golden. Cool completely on a rack.
Filling:
Blend cream cheese and sugar until smooth and creamy with a mixer or food processor. Add eggs, one at a time, blending well between additions. Add dulce de leche and vanilla and blend well. Spread the batter evenly over the cooled crust. Bake until the center is set and the edges are puffed and slightly cracked. The middle should not jiggle when you shake the pan. Bake about 38 minutes. Mine were done in 32 minutes, so start checking your pan at about 30 minutes to be safe. Cool completely on a wire rack.
Glaze:
Heat duce de leche and 3 tablespoons cream in a microwave safe bowl. Heat at about 10 second intervals until melted. Stir well, and add more cream if needed. I used half and half, because I was out of cream and it worked perfect. I needed 1 more T. cream than called for. The amount of cream you need will depend on the brand of dulce de leche you use. Pour glaze over the cooled cheesecake and spread evenly. Refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour. Cut into bars and enjoy!
NOTE: Bars can be made up to 2 days ahead. Cover and keep chilled.

26 comments:

  1. Duche de Leche and cheesecake, this is heavenly delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks very tempting, especially since I have all the ingredients on hand. I will be taking the recipe with me. Thanks for sharing.
    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  3. Habit forming is right! I know I will love this recipe. Have you given us a link to your duce de leche recipe, Lynda? I'm not seeing it if you have. I've never made my own and would like to try it. I can see myself eating that luscious topping right out of the can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!!! These look amazing! I linked to your blog from my friend Mandy's blog at Learn, Laugh, Cook. Glad I came over - these are going on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this is so luxurious - bookmarking it - maybe Valentine's Day? We will all need a rich, winter pick-me-up and this will do the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, these look fantastic! I would love to make these or at least eat these.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cathy, thanks for reminding me about links-they've been added!

    Jess, so glad you stopped by!

    Claudia, these would be great for Valentines Day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness does that look luscious! Bring me a piece would ya? If I made this, it would be dangerous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! Dulce de leche is deeevine. Can't wait to try this fabulous recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would find it very hard to say no to this. It sounds better than wonderful. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sorry. I obviously can't make these. Because I would eat them all. All by myself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. cinnamon in the crust and dulce de leche all over the place--these are tremendous, lynda. best cheesecake-type creation ever, i say.

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh yep...those are for sure addictive...but they taste heavenly too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh yeah. I could totally see how these would becoming addicting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I can totally see why these would be habit forming! They look totally amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my, these are definitely habit forming! This is lick your plate good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  17. sounds YUMMY!!! going to make them this weekend... thanks for sharing...:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lynda - what size pan do you use for these?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jess, use a 9x13 inch pan. I can't believe I forgot to post that; so sorry.But thanks for bringing it to my attention! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is probably one of the most delicious sounding bars I've seen in a long while - dulce de leche elevates the taste of just about everything. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lynda - thanks for the pan size :) I made these last night for food day at work today and I don't want to share! They are amazing! Thanks so much! I'll have to stock up on the dulce de leche so that I can make these again!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Jess, aren't they delish? I don't ever want to share either!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yay! I finally found a simple yet, delicious looking recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm so going to try this! I've been looking for a recipe for the last two years, but haven't been able to find one that looked this good.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!