Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Easy Tuna Casserole (a no-soup version!)

Sometimes when the weather is cool and rainy, I crave an old fashioned casserole to eat. My Mother-in-law used to make a wonderful Tuna Casserole, but I really haven't tried to make one myself too often. You see, my husband won't eat it-he doesn't care for canned tuna. But, the other day it sounded so good to me that I decided to come up with a Tuna Casserole for my daughter and I for dinner. It turned out wonderful. I did not use creamed soups, but made my own white sauce with a little cheese. This Easy Tuna Casserole was creamy and delicious and I'll definitely be making it again! This recipe is for a small pan and will feed only 2-3 people, so double it to feed more.

EASY TUNA CASSEROLE
from Lynda's Recipe Box

2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup onion, diced
about 4 ounces of sliced mushrooms- I used some leftover from the day before.
1 1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup milk or half and half
1/2 cup (4 ounces), shredded cheddar cheese
5-6 ounces egg noodles
1 can tuna, drained
3/4 cup frozen peas
1/4- 1/2 teaspoon salt
pepper to taste
crushed potato chips for topping

Cook noodles according to package directions.
To make sauce: In a large saucepan melt the butter and saute the onions and mushrooms for a couple of minutes until onions are soft and mushrooms have lost alot of their liquid. Stir in the flour and cook for a minute. Pour in the chicken broth and whisk while it cooks and thickens. Add the milk or half and half and whisk thoroughly until thickened. If it gets too thick, add a bit more milk. Stir in the cheese, peas, salt and pepper and stir until cheese is melted. Taste sauce and adjust seasonings if needed.
Now gently fold in the noodles and drained tuna, taking care to leave the tuna chunky, if possible. Pour mixture into a buttered 1 1/2 quart baking dish. Top with crushed potato chips, if desired. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes or until casserole is bubbly. Enjoy!

16 comments:

  1. The only way I would even consider eating canned tuna is in a casserole like this one! I am probably the only one (besides your husband,who won't even eat this) who feels that way about canned tuna.
    Love this recipe; I used to make it for my kids all the time but never added cheese. Looks like a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up with tuna casserole so it says comfort food to me. I haven't made it in ages and I do like your version without the canned soup. Think I'll have to make this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. peas and potato chips? and i'm sold. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks really good. I love that is easy and chips, yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a fun tuna casserole. The chips? The family smiles! Love the creamy addition of the cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This recipe takes me back to my childhood - it looks comforting and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love tuna, period. I used to love Tuna Helper, but never buy it anymore. This sounds like it would be a good meal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the idea of an easy tuna casserole with out canned soup. My husband would eat this just fine. It's my daughter that doesn't like canned tuna!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a tuna fan, so I know I would love this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We loved this recipe! I have never tasted tuna casserole before but now I know that this recipe was perfect to start with :) I added extra sweet corn since my daughter loves it.
    I was looking for the recipe which doesn't ask for this awful canned soup and I am happy to find one.
    I recommend!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. anooshka- I'm so glad that you liked my recipe and I appreciate that you let me know. Your addition of corn sounds like a great idea; I'll have to try that next time.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A delicious recipe.I substituted the peas with broccoli. The whole family loved it! Glad you shared...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tasha, glad the brocolli worked too.I'll have to try it that way. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  13. Thank you, Lynda, for sharing this wonderful recipe! I used Velveeta because I didn't have any shredded cheddar, and it turned out great. My husband loved it because it was so creamy and moist. Thanks for sharing this tasty recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, Lynda, for this wonderful recipe. I used Velveeta because I didn't have any shredded cheddar. My husband loved how moist and creamy it turned out. Thanks so much for sharing this delicious recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by and leaving your comment- I'm so happy you enjoyed the casserole! It sounds yummy with Velveeta too!

      Delete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!