Thursday, February 4, 2010

Chicken Pomodoro - Great Food in 30 Minutes!

I found this quick meal in the latest issue of Cook's Country magazine and immediately wanted to try it. It uses boneless chicken breasts, which are perfect for quick, healthy meals. I only altered the recipe a bit. I couldn't get fresh Basil, so had to use dried. And I only used half an onion, instead of a whole one. I also used less garlic, because this much garlic at the evening meal can make me feel not so great at times. But this dish had lots of wonderful flavor going on with the chunky, but creamy sauce that had a bit of a spicy kick to it. You may want to omit the red pepper flakes if serving small children. Who am I kidding? My kids would have never eaten this dish just because of the diced tomatoes! They never ate things that were chunky. But my husband and I loved this very flavorful dish. I hope you will too! CHICKEN POMODORO
slightly adapted from Cook's Country

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/2pounds)
salt and pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 an onion, finely diced (about 1 cup)-Cook's used 1 whole onion,diced
2 cloves minced garlic- Cook's used 4 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil - Cook's used 1/4 cup fresh chopped basil
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 (14.5-ounce) can small diced tomatoes
1/3 cup heavy cream
2 teaspoons sugar, optional-if sauce tastes acidic, add sugar(see note below)

1. Pat chicken dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Cook chicken about 3 minutes per side, until golden. Remove chicken to a plate.
2. Heat remaining oil in skillet and cook diced onion until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, oregano, and pepper flakes, and dried basil, if using. Cook and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in tomatoes, cream and bring to a boil. Return chicken and accumulated juices to the skillet. Lower heat to a simmer and cover skillet. Cook until chicken is cook through, about 10 minutes, (depending on size of chicken breasts).
3. Transfer chicken to platter and tent with foil to keep warm. Continue to simmer sauce, uncovered, until slightly thickened, 3-5 minutes.
Remove from heat. If using fresh basil, add it to skillet at this time, and season with salt and pepper. I only needed about 1/4 teaspoon salt and no pepper. Pour sauce over chicken and pasta. I served the chicken over Angel Hair Pasta. It was delicious! Serve over pasta, rice or polenta.

NOTE: My husband prefers more sauce than this, but I thought it about right for this spicy, creamy sauce. Enjoy!
ALSO NOTE (added 9-10-10)- I think some tomato brands are more acidic than other brands, so after tasting I sometimes add 2 teaspoons of sugar to the sauce. I've added this info to the recipe.

24 comments:

  1. this looks like the perfect easy meal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks scrumptious! Can't believe that just needs 30 mins!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delicious! This will be a great idea for a worknight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds absolutely delicious--and my husband will be thanking you BIGTIME, too! I bought a package of boneless skinless chicken breasts and was trying to figure out something new to do with them. I found a recipe that called for Dijon mustard and my husband was having a fit--he agreed to try it, but since he knew upfront that it had the mustard, I had a good feeling he would have snubbed it. I'm definitely going to make this instead!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lynda, great quick meal loaded with lots of flavor! Love the ease of this recipe, as well. Many thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  6. i also tend to cut back on the garlic more often than not. heck, this recipe doesn't even need it--it's full of plenty of other delicious, complimentary flavors. thanks for what's sure to be a keeper of a recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delicious, Lynda. Love all the yummy flavors in the sauce. The addition of cream is the key.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Only 30 mins? Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a great chicken recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is perfect, easy and fast and very dramatic... great photos

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like an excellent weekday meal and so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Definitely definitely making this. I have these ingredients on hand all the time so what a delicious way to combine them into a tasty meal. Thank you for this delicious post. Excellent share!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow, what a great recipe! That looks so divine! I'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow. 4 cloves seems like a lot of garlic. Smart move to cut that back. Much as I like to use fresh herbs, I always have dried in my pantry for emergencies like this.
    This is a wonderful, flavorful dish!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a quick and delicious meal - it looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely chicken dish. I'll bet this tastes as good as it looks. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pomodoro gets my vote. Easy, packed tih flavor and scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yummy, I saw that recipe too, thanks for testing it out, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds delicious. I will definitely be trying it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks perfect to me. My DH likes a lot of sauce with spaghetti, too. Must be a man thing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've taken some chicken out of the freezer for tonight's dinner, and was trying to think of something new to do with it - now I know. Thanks Lynda.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This recipe looks really delicioius and easy too! I think I will make it this week.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I would love to have some of that for lunch today... looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!