Thursday, January 14, 2010

Classic Meatloaf, My Way

I crave Meatloaf at times. I love the taste, the texture, the comfort food charm. It brings back thoughts of eating it as a kid and loving every bite. Meatloaf is just one of those classic American foods that has stood the test of time and has a multitude of different ways of preparing it. My favorite meatloaf is more of the classic version, made with ground meat, bread crumbs, eggs, etc.
I prefer to mound the meatloaf in a baking pan rather than to bake it in a loaf pan. This way, it gets kind of crusty all the way around the loaf, and I love that! It takes a little more time to make it look nice and rounded, but it's worth it to me. But you may use a loaf pan if you wish. My meatloaf is moist and delicious, using ground beef and ground pork here. Many times I use only ground beef, and on occasion I have added sausage to my meatloaf. I like to use dry bread crumbs instead of fresh crumbs. My mother used to use finely crushed saltine crackers in her meatloaf. And I have a friend who used Grape Nuts Cereal to make hers, instead of bread crumbs, (she said it was a Weight Watcher's version)! I think every family makes it differently. I almost forgot to take pictures, so there's not much left on the platter. Here's how I made mine.

CLASSIC MEATLOAF, MY WAY
Lynda's Recipe Box

1 pound of beef ground chuck- 80/20
1/2 pound ground pork (or you may use more ground chuck)
1 cup dry bread crumbs
2 large eggs, beaten
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup ketchup (or I sometimes sub crushed tomatoes)
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup finely diced onion, sauteed in 1 tablespoon oil
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon salt, or more
1/2 teaspoon pepper
TOPPING:
1/3 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon brown sugar- mixed together
In a large bowl, mix all ingredients together except the topping ingredients. Shape into a mound in a baking pan or roasting pan. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 40 minutes. Remove meatloaf from oven and spoon topping over loaf. Return meat loaf to oven for 15-20 more minutes. Remove from oven and let rest about 20 minutes before serving. I served with Homemade Mac and Cheese, steamed baby cut carrots and a salad.


17 comments:

  1. The meatloaf looks so good to eat. Gonna to bookmark this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynda, we're having meatloaf for dinner tonight. I have a couple versions I use but will be adding yours to the repertoire. This is good classic meatloaf and really just one of the best. LOVE it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. grape nuts? that sounds weird! your recipe is very similar to ours, lynda, which at this point comes as no surprise. :) it's all about the topping for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynda, your way looks absolutely delicious! Nothing says home cooking like meatloaf. It always satisfies and delights the soul.

    Great recipe, thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious - flavorful, moist and crusty and meatloaf of all variations are adored by my family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The ultimate comfort food - meatloaf and mac & cheese. All looks good and makes me want meatloaf. We make ours stand alone as well. Glad I'm not the only one who forgets to take photo's when it's time for the eating to begin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meatloaf is terrific!!!

    love the looks of this

    ReplyDelete
  8. My favorite way to eat meatloaf is the next day in a sandwich :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That first photo just screams "American comfort food". The last photo looks just like my mom's meat loaf. She never used a loaf pan either, she topped it just like you, but she used saltines in hers.

    Thanks for sharing your wonderful recipe. It brings me back!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I crave meatloaf from time to time too. I think it is a classic American comfort dish. Served along side with mashed potatoes or mac n'cheese, is just over the top.

    Thanks for sharing your wonderful recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your meatloaf sounds fantastic! I love the brown sugar in the glaze!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Magnificent photos of this classic. I've never met a meatloaf I did'nt like.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks very delicious. I have to try and make it soon. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Crusty all over sounds perfect to me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Meatloaf is comfort food....love the looks of your meatloaf here..

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't tried making a mounded meatloaf, but I'm going to try it. We all love the crispy top in the loaf pan.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is definitely the way ilike meatloaf and yours looks perfectly cooked!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!