Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Chocolate-Chip Oatmeal Cookies with Pecans and Dried Cranberries (slightly adapted from Cook's Illustrated)

Oh my, are these cookies ever good! I made them this past week end and my husband and I both couldn't stay out of them! I love oatmeal cookies any way, but these are the best I've ever eaten. Of course, coming from Cook's Illustrated, there were a lot of instructions to read through. They said to use chopped bittersweet chocolate, but when I went to the store, they were out. So I went with semi-sweet chocolate chips, which I had on hand. I used light brown sugar, instead of the recommenced dark brown, and dried cranberries instead of dried cherries. The toasted pecans really added wonderful flavor to these cookies. The original recipe is called "Chocolate-Chunk Oatmeal Cookies with Pecans and Dried Cherries". I tried to follow their directions fairly close since this was the first time making these. I still managed to over bake the cookies a couple of minutes. I've checked my oven temp and it is correct, so I'm not sure why there was such a discrepancy in baking time. Maybe because I have an electric oven, but I really don't know. However, these cookies were still delicious, just a little more crisp than intended. Cook's has 2 pans of cookies baking at the same time on upper and lower-middle oven racks, and then rotating them and switching racks. That was a fair amount of door opening during baking. These are huge cookies, using 1/4 cup of dough for each yummy cookie. This recipe makes 16 humongous, delicious cookies, which, I have convinced myself, are really tasty for breakfast! Don't you agree? CHOCOLATE-CHIP OATMEAL COOKIES with PECANS and DRIED CRANBERRIES
(adapted from Cook's Illustrated)

1 1/4 cups unbleached, all purpose flour (6 1/4 ounces)

3/4 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon table salt

1 1/4 cups old fashioned rolled oats (3 1/2 ounces)

1 cup toasted pecans, chopped (4 ounces)

1 cup dried cranberries, coarsely chopped (5 ounces) Cook's Calls for dried cherries

3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (Cook's calls for 4 ounces chopped bittersweet chocolate chunks)

1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened-12 tablespoons

1 1/2 cups light brown sugar (Cooks calls for dark brown)

1 large egg

1 teaspoon vanilla

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Adjust oven racks to upper and lower- middle positions and preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two large 18x12 inch baking sheets with parchment paper.

2. Whisk flour, baking powder, sod and salt together in a bowl. In another bowl,mix the chopped pecans, cranberries, chocolate chips and oatmeal together.

3. In a large bowl, beat butter and brown sugar together until creamy with a mixer. They used a stand mixer, but I had to use my hand mixer. Add egg and vanilla and beat on low speed until mixed well. With mixer on low speed, add flour mixture and mix until just combined.Then gradually add oat/nut mixture; mix just until incorporated. give dough a final stir with a spoon to make sure it is mixed well.

4. Divide dough into 16 pieces, each about 1/4 cup. Roll each piece into balls and place 8 balls on each baking sheet about 2 1/2 inches apart, staggering them so they won't touch when baking. Using your hand, press each dough ball to 1 inch thickness. Bake both sheets, 12 minutes, rotating them front to back, and top to bottom. Then continue to bake cookies until they are medium brown and edges have begun to set but centers are soft and seem under done, and wet and shiny in cracks. This is supposed to be 8-10 minutes longer. Do not over bake. Enjoy these awesome cookies!

NOTE: To toast pecans, place on a baking sheet in a 350 degree oven for 4-5 minutes. Watch closely!

Here is the link to the original directions, but Cook's may not keep this open for long.

17 comments:

  1. YUM YUM YUM Love that this oatmeal cookie is just brimming with extra goodness. Oh my! I think you have taken one of my favorite cookies to a new height.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think cranberries and chocolate chips would be divine together! Cherries are good, but perhaps too sweet? Maybe that's why they suggested bittersweet chips. Pecans always make a cookie taste better.
    Copying now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my is right! These cookies look so good & chewy. Loaded with great flavorful ingredients ~ it's like several cookies in one. How great is that!

    Lynda, this recipe is definitely going into my "must-try" list. Thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  4. After all those sweet Christmas cookies last month, great to see an adult cookie.... these sound terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These oatmeal cookies look and sound delicious and not just for breakfast! I could eat these at anytime of day...perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I saved the recipe from cooks but have yet to make them. I love the idea of oatmeal and cranberries. Looks like they turned out perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this kind of cookie - yummy big ones! I would be constantly into the cookie jar until they were gone. This is a must try.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are going to be a must try very soon. It has all my favorite ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bookmarked! These cookies look absolutely divine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. cooks illustrated does hone their recipes to perfection, don't they! these look perfect--flat and chewy and full of tasty shtuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd love one of these for breakfast too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chocolate and cranberries, nuts and oatmeal. Yes. Sounds right. In fact, sounds scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cookies are my weakness and these look so soft and chewy! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those cookies look absolutely delish, I love cranberries in anything! p.s. we both make our meatloaf almost the same, I mound mine too and use a mix of pork and beef!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These cookies look so wonderful with cranberries, chocolate chips and pecans! I would love to have a few right now!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Now, these are cookies! I was thinking these would be perfect with a good hot cup of coffee but, I am re-thinking.....A tall glass of cold milk would be perfect. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These sound like they'd be great. I like the cranberries in them!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!