Monday, October 19, 2009

Our Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookies

My family loves Chocolate Chip Cookies that are crisp around the edges yet soft in the middle. This recipe fits the bill perfectly. I found this awesome recipe in an old church cookbook that I bought more than 30 years ago from a friend. The poor book is falling apart and I have to be careful that I don't misplace any pages when I'm flipping through it. This wonderful cook book comes from a church in Grandview, Missouri, and it contains many treasured recipes that my family loves. I want to thank Geneva S. for this addictive cookie recipe.I have never met her, but my family has eaten her cookies for years now! When my kids were young, they used to steal
bits of dough from the bowl as I was trying to bake these chewy cookies. My kids always preferred these without nuts, even though my husband and I love them loaded with pecans. So, I used to add nuts to half of the cookie dough, so that we could indulge in them as we preferred. The things a mother has to do when she has picky kids! I am submitting this recipe

for our family's favorite Chocolate Chip Cookies to Laura of "The Spiced Life", and Shelby of "The Life and Loves of Grumpy's Honeybunch", for this months "Family Recipes; Memories of Family, Food and Fun!" Here's the recipe for these super cookies!


Chocolate Chip Cookies- Our family's Favorite!
2/3 butter, softened to room temperature
2/3 shortening
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs, beaten
2 tsp. vanilla
3 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda (originally called for 1 tsp. soda)
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup chopped nuts; I use pecans
12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips or dark chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening, eggs, sugars and vanilla together until creamy. In another bow, mix the flour, soda and salt together. Add to the butter mixture and mix well. Add the nuts and chocolate chips and stir until well combined. I use a tablespoon to measure the dough so they will be similar in size. Drop dough by tablespoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes, or until light brown around the edges. Remove from oven and let cookies cool slightly before removing from the cookie sheet. Cool completely and store in air tight container. Makes about 5-6 dozen, depending on how big you make them. Best eaten straight out of the oven, of course! Enjoy these addictive cookies!
I know there are plenty of cookies on the Internet, especially chocolate chip, but these are wonderful. I've tried other recipes and I keep coming back to these so, I'm just sharing our favorite, so far. These cookies have made many wonderful memories in our family and we have shared them with friends and neighbors at Christmas time. Try them, you'll like them!




27 comments:

  1. Yum! Why would you even try others when these are perfect?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynda, this Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe sounds delicious...thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. What lovely cookies and each one is such a perfect shape!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I oscillate back and forth between preferring my butter based chocolate chip cookie and my shortening based recipe...it looks like this one is the best of both worlds. I'm printing this off right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the looks of these because they are thin and we're also a no-nuts CCC fan. Going to give these a try; I too am intrigued by the use of both shortening and butter. Sounds like a keeper recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look awesome! I hope to try this recipe soon. I love chocolate chip cookies...perhaps we will serve these to Santa. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm always up for another CCC recipe! These do look like a perfect cookie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. yep, they look perfect. so many times, chocolate chip cookies are too cakey or too crispy for my tastes, but these look like a perfect balance. thanks for sharing your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. you gotta love it when you find the perfect chocolate chip cookie recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look wonderful. Why shortening and butter? Years ago we use to mix the two to extend, the then costly, butter. We learned the mixture tasted like butter at half the cost. Is it used here for flavor or texture?

    ReplyDelete
  11. They look fantastic! I don't have my own chocolate cookie recipe.....this one sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. There is a certain look that a great chocolate chip cookie has and this one has it. I am taking down the recipe now and as soon as possible, I want to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. They look wonderful. I love cc cookies and could try endless variations. Chewy and crispy sounds about perfect to me as well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love mine crispy around the edges and chewy in the middle too! I also love them chock full of nuts! Thanks for participating Lynda!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lara, Katy and Mary, I think this is the only recipe I've tried that uses both shortening and butter; I have used all butter in this recipe several times and they taste great, of course, but the cookies spread out more. So, Mary, I'd have to say that I continue using part shortening because it adds to the texture of the cookie.What a long answer, huh! Thanks for your great comments!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great blog Lynda! Glad you found me so I could find you!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lynda... A cookie is not a cookie unless it is a homemade Chocolate Chip; and your family recipe sounds perfect. Thanks for sharing this wonderful cookie treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  18. these look really great... you can tell they are extra chewy in the middle which is the BEST!
    -Mini :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just found your blog and this is the way we like our cookies too. These look like I could take a nice big bite!
    Very nice blog...!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cookies look fabulous! I just need a tall cold glass of milk to wash those delicious cookies down! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love this chocolate chip cookies! Especially the chewy ones :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. This stuff is so good.! im so glad my husband bought me this new family cookbook
    organizer so i can keep track of all these great recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  23. And they do look perfect. I love that they are being passed through the generations. Cooking and baking connects us to our past and future so we can live in the present.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I baked these cookies yesterday, they baked up beautiful and just melt in your mouth!
    So much better than "Tollhouse" receipe!
    Thank you Linda :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lucygirlfriend-Thanks for Letting me know; I'm so glad you like these cookies. I really appreciate your comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lynda I forgot to mention that I had only butter flavored shortening in my pantry, so that is what I used for your cookie recipe,the extra butter flavor was fantastic! These cookies will be our favorite cookie forever!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lucy-That is nice to know; I have used all butter before when I was out of crisco and it worked well too. Thanks for the tip about the butter flavored crisco!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!