Saturday, October 3, 2009

The Best Apple Cake Ever! ( and a little American apple history)

On a cool, fall day last week, there was a heavenly aroma permeating my humble kitchen. The scent of apples and cinnamon hovered in the air for awhile even after the oven was turned off. I had just made my favorite Apple Cake, a recipe given to me by my Mother-in-law when my husband and I were first married. This moist, cinnamony cake is a favorite in our family (except for those who don't like nuts), and I always look forward to making it- and eating it! As I was eating my first piece of this luscious cake, I began wondering about the history of apples in America. Why? I don't know. I mean, I remember reading about Johnny Appleseed in school, but was there more? So I did a quick google search and found an interesting article at What's Cooking America, called, "History and Legends of Apples",written by Linda Stradley. She has done some research on this delicious fruit which was so interesting to read. Actually, the first apple seeds to arrive in America were in the 17th century! One of the first instances was when William Blackstone arrived in Massachusetts from Europe in 1623. He carried a bag of apple seeds with him and planted an orchard on Beacon hill in Boston, among other places. The early settlers even had to import honey bees! Anyway, by 1640 nearly all landowners had planted apple trees. According to her article, there are over 7000 varieties of apples in the U.S.! Amazing! If you like history, check out this site. Now, let's get to this delicious recipe so you can make it!
APPLE CAKE
4 cup of coarse, chopped apples (any baking apple works)
2 cups sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup oil
2 tsp. vanilla
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup chopped nuts ( I always use pecans)
In a large bowl, mix the apples and sugar together. In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nuts together. I know this sounds strange, but trust me. I've been making this for years and this is the easiest way. Stir the apples; the sugar will be liquefying by now. To the apples and sugar, add the eggs, oil and vanilla and mix well. This is a very thick dough that is loaded with apples. If you noticed, there isn't a lot of liquid in this cake. Most of the moistness comes from the apples. Spoon batter into a greased and floured 9x13 inch pan. Place in a preheated 350 degree oven and bake for about 1 hour. Test with a toothpick for doneness. Cool completely before serving. This is best made early in the day you are planning on serving it. This cake needs a few hours to develop its moistness.
The original recipe called for 2 tablespoons of vanilla! As you noticed, I've cut it down to 2 tsp. which is enough. The day of baking, the cake will be crusty on top, but as the day wears on the cake develops its moistness from the apples. Each day, this Apple Cake gets more moist. This is more a snack cake, but I like to make Caramel Sauce to drizzle over the top to dress it up some. Now that is a decadent touch! I guess you can tell from the pictures that I got carried away with the caramel. But it was sooo good! I'll give you the Caramel Sauce recipe my next post. Have a great weekend!


37 comments:

  1. The best Apple Cake I have ever seen!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apples + Caramel = Heaven! I don't think you got carried away at all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, with that caramel topping, I just want to reach in through the screen and take a huge bite. I love, love apple cakes and am always on the look out for the best. Well, my dear friend, this looks outstanding. Will be adding this to my must-make stash and as apples are just coming into harvest, will be baking and loving this one soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love this. Taking my children apple picking today.. maybe we'll make this when we come home. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW, look at the caramel...makes me drooling..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a bag of apples on the countertop and was wondering what to make. Now I know! It sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely old-fashioned recipe. I can't wait to try this. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lynda... From your photograph, I can almost smell the aroma of this awesome cake baking. What a wonderful recipe your mother-in-law handed down... and now you pass it on to us. Many thanks and I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh, I LOVE fruit desserts! That looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 7000 APPLES??? wow..who knew. I have probably had 5 or 6 of those. Hmm I feel cheated!!!
    Love the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  11. From the photo, I believe you when you say it's the best ever. A must try.

    ReplyDelete
  12. that's exactly the same recipe for apple cake that i used to use in new zealand (i've even blogged about it!)
    now i use another recipe, which is closer to the greek taste for apple cake, which i recently blogged about
    and i have to say, i have alwyas loved apple cake when it's made at home in the old-fashioned way

    ReplyDelete
  13. This does look delicious. I thought from the photo that it was chocolate cake with apples. I wonder how these would be as a muffin?

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an outstanding cake. It truly is drool worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks wonderful. I just put an apple cake up on my blog, and this one looks completely different! i love how many ways there are to make similar dishes :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh wow! this apple cake looks DELISH! I love your blog! I'm so glad I found it! I'll be back often :)
    -Mini Baker

    ReplyDelete
  17. It sure looks the best apple cake ever...the caramel topping gives an extra points to the cake :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is one decadent cake! And the caramel just puts it over the top. Goodness gracious it is just mouth watering.
    Happy Twirls

    ReplyDelete
  19. My mom makes an apple cake a similar way, but without caramel and I think that caramel should definitely be mandatory - looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  20. that looks sooo moist and delicious. your caramel looks scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I enjoyed reading your findings on apple history in the US. I too often take for granted all the effort made to build this country.
    Your cake looks like a slice of fall right on the page! I make something very similar, but with a caramel frosting instead of caramel sauce. I look forward to seeing your sauce recipe so I can try a new variation.
    This week I've got your 4 layer dessert on my menu! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. You have to love this cake, you just have to!

    ReplyDelete
  23. A friend of mine just went apple picking and was looking for recipes..I sent her this one! yum!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've been itching to take the kids apple picking and I can assure you that this recipe will be utilized when we finally do get around to making the trip!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yes looks far to delicious!
    I will alter a tad, I am a big butter fan.
    Just maybe almond essence?
    Caramel OMGosh yes caramel apple cake,
    just divine Lynda.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lynda - I wanted to let you know that I made this cake today. I changed a few ingredients and made a few healthy substitutions but the recipe was basically the same. It came out AMAZING! I made it especially for my friend Jess who's coming in to visit me from PA tomorrow. She loves apples and caramel so I know she will love it. thanks so much! I'm going to share my alterations on my food blog one day next week with my readers! Keep up the great work!

    -Mandy

    www.learn-laugh-cook.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Mandy- I'm so glad you liked this cake; it remains my husbands all time favorite.
    I'll be looking forward to your post so I can see the changes you made to make it your own. Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Lynda - I finally posted the recipe today! Thanks again! I really, really enjoyed this recipe of yours! Keep up the great work of sharing delectable things! :-) Your readers and now my readers thank you for it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lynda..my mother in law and I have both been making this exact same recipe for years. Mine turns out light in color, her's turns out dark, like yours. Can't figure out what I am doing different??

    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  30. Jackie, I don't know the answer to your question, but I have wondered about other recipes I've seen and they aren't as dark. My MIL's was dark too. As long as it's moist and tastes good, don't worry about it!
    Maybe there's some scientific answer???
    Thanks so much for the question- but sorry I don't know the answer.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Have You ever poured the Whole recipe of Caramel Sauce over Cake while it's hot? I just tried it:)We'll see?

    ReplyDelete
  32. anonymous- I have not tried that, although I have thought about it. I have seen apple cake recipes with caramel icing, but not sauce.
    Please let me know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I have been looking for a new recipe for an apple cake and caramel topping and decided to use yours. I made this delectable delight on Saturday for me and my husband. It is delicious. Thanks for a great recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Well, the cake is in the oven. I used cooking margarine instead of oil.
    If the dough taste's good the cake normally does to. My 16 year old daughter could not keep her fingers away from the dough. Will let you know the outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  35. my two cents: DELICIOUS, MOIST and mine came out dark, too

    ReplyDelete
  36. which apples do you think would be best for this cake, I like granny smith, but my family prefers red delish..... any thoughts, or is there a better one?

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!