Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Chicken Fried Chicken Breasts with Cream Gravy

Sometimes I get really strong cravings for certain foods, especially comfort foods. Fried chicken would be one of the strongest. It was one of my favorite meals growing up, plus anytime I go to the grocery store, the deli is cooking it and the aroma calls to me. But it's not as good as homemade. I don't indulge often, and sometimes when it's just my husband and me, I use boneless, skinless chicken breasts. They are so handy, plus they cook quickly, making this a treat that I can even make during the week. Crisp on the outside, tender and juicy on the inside and topped with cream gravy and mashed potatoes on the side- that's good eating. Let me tell you, this meal satisfied my craving nicely -until the next time, that is. This is more of a method than a recipe, so measurements are approximate. I don't make this often, but this is one of my favorite comfort meals. Enjoy!


CHICKEN FRIED CHICKEN BREASTS with CREAM GRAVY


2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

1/2 cup flour, seasoned with salt and pepper

1 egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon milk

4 tablespoons oil(could need more, depending on size of skillet-oil should cover the bottom of pan about 1/8 inch deep )


Place each chicken breast between plastic wrap(one at a time) and pound with the flat side of a meat tenderizer, or a rolling pin, to an even thickness. Should be about 1/4-1/2 inch thick. Place on a plate. Place seasoned flour in a shallow bow. Mix egg and milk in another shallow bowl. Season chicken lightly with salt and pepper. Take one piece of chicken and dredge in the flour, shaking excess off. Then it goes into the egg, again shaking off excess. Dredge it again in the flour and lay it on a plate. Repeat with other chicken.

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When oil sizzles, place chicken pieces in oil and cook until golden and you can see the chicken turning white around the edges, 3-4 minutes. Turn chicken over and continue cooking, another 3 minutes or so. Remove chicken from skillet to another pan. Place in a 200 degree oven to keep warm while you make the gravy.

CREAM GRAVY

Remove all but about 1 tablespoon oil from the skillet, but leave in any brown, crispy pieces from the chicken. Add 1 1/2 tablespoon of flour to the oil and stir, letting the flour cook and brown a about 1 minute. Whisk in about 1 cup milk. Keep whisking as it begins to cook and thicken. The longer it cooks the thicker it will become, so you may need tot add more milk. Season with salt and plenty of pepper. I like lots of pepper in cream gravy. This makes about 1 cup of gravy, so you may need to double it if cooking for more than two or three people.

NOTE: If making mashed potatoes, start them first, before you start the chicken, because they will take longer to cook.

18 comments:

  1. Sometimes you just CRAVE a dinner like this! So many people have never heard of it....I adore it. And you can't beat that gravy. Yes, mashed taters are a must.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chicken fried chicken!!! YUM! Serious comfort food...love it :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of my favorite comfort meals and I have wonderful memories of my grandmother preparing it. And those mashed potatoes are the mandatory side. Just thinking about it makes my mouth water.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This makes me hungry just looking at at and I just ate breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my kind of comfort food - the whole meal looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum...this looks so good....I could just eat off the picture! I have never made Chicken Fried Chicken...not any more! Going to be on my menu this week! Blessings, K

    ReplyDelete
  7. Talk about comfort food yummy Looks good love your blog. Everything looks so yummy
    Check out my food blog at http://thedailysmash101.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks so good. I'm on veg overload at the moment and this just might hit the spot. I hope all is well. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always thought chicken fried steak should be made with chicken. It looks like perfect comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mased potatoes and cream gravy is oneof my alltime comfort foods (affter pasta of course). But I could slurp up the stuff ad nauseum. I ahve never astered fried chicken (I am pathetic) so shall give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love chicken! Even if I prefer Chicken Cacciatore I sometimes make fried chicken, next time I'll follow your method.

    Ciao ciao ;D

    ReplyDelete
  12. My kiddos would love this...the whole thing!! From the mash potatoes to the green beans. Thanks for sharing! Btw, your chicken is perfectly breaded.
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  13. gravy. the very word makes my knees weak. what a tremendous dish, lynda. tremendous.

    ReplyDelete
  14. AMAZING! I love anything fired!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I feel comfort just looking at the photo. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That looks so good! I love chicken fried steak but we are trying to cut down on red meat, this is just the ticket!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was just thinking about a recipe for this and here you have it. One of my FAVS! Oh my. I'm going to run around the block a dozen times or so to work up an appetite. I WANT this now!!!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!