Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Cheesy Pizza Dip - from Ellie Krieger

 I was strolling across the web the other day when I came upon this interesting recipe for Cheesy Pizza Dip. It caught my eye because it was different from others I have had, plus it was from Ellie Krieger, so I thought it had to be good. And is it ever. Who among you likes to eat bread sticks or pizza crust that you've dipped in extra pizza sauce? Well, that's the idea here. When this is served with toasted baguette slices, the bread becomes the vehicle for delivering the sauce and cheese.  A mini pizza if you will. The sauce is  deliciously thick, spicy, and topped with Mozzarella cheese, Parmesan and creamy ricotta cheese. I love, love, love it! I hope you will to. I think it would be a hit at any get together, even a Super Bowl Party. Here's the recipe.

Cheesy Pizza Dip
adapted from Ellie Krieger
Ellie calls for this to be made and served in a skillet. She baked at 450 degrees. I made it in a 10 inch casserole dish and baked it at 400 degrees F. for about 10 minutes, just until the cheese melted. I also added a couple of tablespoons of diced green pepper, but I don't think I'll do that again.

For the sauce:
1 - 28 ounce can of crushed tomatoes
1 -2 tablespoons olive oil
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1 small onion, diced
pinch of crushed red pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
2 tablespoons of fresh basil, minced
1/4 teaspoon salt
pepper to taste

Toppings:
about 3/4 cup freshly shredded mozzarella cheese
3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup ricotta cheese ricotta

Directions:
In a saucepan, over medium high heat, saute the onion in 1 tablespoon of olive oil until the onion is softened, 4-5 minutes. Add more oil if needed and add the minced garlic to the pan. Saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Pour the crushed tomatoes, red pepper flakes, and oregano to the pan and simmer for 15 - 20 minutes. Stir in the fresh basil. Sauce will be thick and chunky. There will be about 3 cups of sauce.

Pour the sauce in a baking dish. Top with the mozzarella, and Parmesan. Divide the ricotta onto 4 dollops. Bake at 450 degrees F. until the mozzarella cheese melts, 5-8 minutes.
NOTE: I baked it at 400 degrees F. as I wasn't sure if my pan could handle the higher heat. Enjoy this yummy treat! Can be baked in a pie plate also.

Need some other dip ideas for the Super Bowl this weekend? How about my Black Bean, Corn and Tomato Salsa, One Minute Tomato Salsa, Guacamole or these other dips.

6 comments:

  1. This is awesome Lynda! I can't wait to try it. All the wonderful flavor and cheesy decadence of pizza and no guilty feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hardest thing for me is staying away from melted cheese. This is no exception.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katherine, yes, this is much lighter than pizza.

    Claudia, melted cheese is my weakness too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ellie's recipes are wonderful--still decadent without being too much so.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!