Thursday, December 8, 2011

Apricot Almond Bars

 I love bar cookies. They normally require less preparation time than single cookies and that's a plus when you are busy. These Apricot Almond Bars were very rich, from the buttery sweet crust, the sweet but tart apricot jam filling, and the topping which contains not only almonds, but meringue and coconut too. My husband and I loved them, so they didn't last long. I have a weakness for chocolate, so these bars were a nice change, and they would be a good recipe for any Christmas cookie exchange. They are a keeper.
I lined the baking pan with foil and then sprayed it with cooking spray. That way you can lift out the whole pan of bars before cutting them. Using a long, sharp knife I cut them neatly into serving sizes that look great on a serving tray when serving to guests. These cookie bars will be a perfect addition to the upcoming Christmas festivities.
I've been wanting to blog these all week but we've had some computer issues, so I guess it's better late than never. I hope you'll give Apricot Almond Bars a try real soon.

Apricot Almond Bars
Adapted from Taste Of Home

3/4 cup butter, softened- I used salted butter
3/4 cup confectioners sugar
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup apricot preserves or jam- I needed about 1 more tablespoon
3 egg whites
6 tablespoons sugar
1/2 cup flaked coconut
1 cup sliced almonds, divided
In a large bowl, cream the butter with the powdered sugar. Gradually mix in the flour and blend well. Press mixture into the bottom of a greased 9x13 inch pan. Or, line the pan with foil, grease it well and then press in the crust mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for 18-20 minutes until golden.
Spread the jam over the crust. In a large bowl beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Add the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time until incorporated and stiff peaks form. Fold in the coconut and 1/2 cup of the almonds. Gently spread this mixture over the apricot jam. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup of almonds. Bake at 350 degree F. for about 20 minutes until golden brown. Cool completely before cutting.

8 comments:

  1. These look wonderful. I don't use apricot filling as often as I would like to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how pretty these are with the layers! They would look great on a goodie platter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always have enough room on my cookie trays for a bar as tempting as these. Love the combination of almonds and apricots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you know i'm with you on the love of bars, and these are certainly no exception! i was surprised by how much i loved apricot preserves, and now i use them everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I came to bars late in life - when I moved to the Midwest. Once upon a time in NYC, there were no bars (edible ones). And I have grown to love them. This is a new one so saving - apricot jam... almonds.... sophisticated and easy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love bar cookies too. This one looks so easy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow they look so delicious.. i think i'll try them.. :)

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!