Monday, October 4, 2010

Tuscan Minestrone Soup

The first chill of Fall air blew in finally last week, which overjoyed me, so I made one of my favorite easy soups. This yummy soup is full of healthy veggies and it's very simple to throw together. It uses canned chicken broth and tomatoes, which is a wonderful time saver. After all the vegetables are chopped, the soup only takes about 20 minutes to cook. My husband and I love this stuff, although he prefers some chicken added to it. Either way, this body warming soup is delicious,especially with some crusty bread. This recipe is based on one by Bob Greene, author of The Best Life Diet. Give it a try for a quick, delicious and healthy bowl of soup.

TUSCAN MINESTRONE SOUP
adapted from the book The Best Life Diet

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 small-medium zucchini, diced

1 small-medium yellow summer squash, diced

1 large carrot, finely diced-about 3/4 cup

1 small onion, diced

2 cloves garlic, minced

4 cups canned, low sodium, low fat chicken broth

1 (15 ounce) can of diced tomatoes-I used canned fire-roasted tomatoes

1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans- I have a hard time finding these in my town, so I sub with Great Northern Beans when I have to.

1/2 cup pasta, elbow or small shells

fresh thyme sprigs, if available

1 teaspoon dried Italian herbs, or use fresh herbs that you have available

salt and pepper to taste

1/4 cup fresh basil, thinly sliced

Heat the oil in a dutch oven over medium heat. Add the carrot, onion, zucchini, and yellow squash to the pan and cook, stirring until the veggies begin to soften, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Pour the chicken broth and tomatoes into the pan, and bring to a boil. Add the beans, pasta and thyme and simmer until the pasta is done, about 10 minutes. Remove the thyme sprigs and season soup with salt and pepper. Stir in the fresh basil. Top each serving with freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Enjoy! Makes about 6 servings.

NOTE: I use whatever herbs I have available, oregano, basil and thyme. My thyme plant died in the heat this summer, so I used 1/2 teaspoon dried in this recipe. I also used 1 tablespoon fresh oregano in place of the teaspoon of dried herbs. Also, sometimes I have to use more chicken broth, depending on the size of squash used. Original recipe calls for medium sized squash.

19 comments:

  1. I love minestrone! your version looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Similar to mine - it's just the easiest,most warming soup to bring to the table. Love it and now I am craving it - maybe tonight?

    ReplyDelete
  3. A delicious looking minestrone soup! Terrific recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love a heart warming soup!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore making soup, this is one I have never made tho, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a coincidence, I just made minestrone tonight as well! It just seems to be one of those soups that's synonymous with cool fall weather. Your recipe sounds delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice and healthy too. I am definately going to give this one a try.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A fabulous, healthy and delicious Autumn/Winter soup. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a healthy soup recipe and I love that it includes cannellini beans (my favorite!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love those cannellini beans and your soup sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hearty and warming, this will come in handy. Our cold weather lasted all of 3 days but enjoyed the change.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is delicious! I love that it is soup time again. I get to have a bottoms up dose of my favorite soups.

    ReplyDelete
  13. An absolutely perfect looking soup!I love shredded cheese on top. That would be so good with some nice bread....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Many of the ingredients are not available here but I 'd like to try a substitued version

    ReplyDelete
  15. As much as I hate to see summer end, I'm loving soup weather! This looks so comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The soup looks delicious Lynda! I love minestrone, but I make mine with beef stew meat and throw in some shredded cabbage. Lynda, I look forward to trying your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I googled and found your recipe! Thanks! Can you tell me how you cook the chicken when you add it to this recipe? Do you just let it steam/boil in the soup? Or do you roast the chicken first and then add it? Thanks, in advance, for your suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Karen, I like to use leftover baked chicken in this soup the best, as it is so tender. However, sometimes I cook 1 boneless skinless chicken breast with the soup and then dice or shredd it when it's done. Or, you can cook it seperatly, by poaching,or baking. Boneless chicken thighs can also be used if you prefer dark meat. When I've been in a big hurry, I have diced the chicken and cooked it in the soup the last 5-10 minutes. Also,I almost always have to add more chicken broth when adding meat to this soup. the amount of meat you use is up to you. I prefer less meat in it, but my husband likes a meaty soup. Find what works for you. I do find that the boneless breast meat can be somewhat dry if over cooked, that's why I like using leftover baked chicken.
    Thank you for your question-I hope I answered it OK. If you have any more questions, just let me know! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I made this today. Delicious...thank you!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!