Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Homemade Baked Chicken Strips

When my kids were growing up they loved Chicken Strips and Chicken Nuggets, but I didn't buy them too often. Reading all the unnatural ingredients on the package was enough to leave me looking for a homemade alternative. When Panko bread crumbs became available in my store, I finally found away to make delicious, crunchy Chicken Strips at home. They are way better than those fatty cousins you find at the fast food places! And they are easy to make. My kids, who are in their 20's still love em, and so do my husband and I. After all, we can't resist fried chicken, but these healthy, tasty strips are baked, not fried and much healthier than those found in bags in the frozen food section of your store. Try them. Your kids will thank you!
HOMEMADE BAKED CHICKEN STRIPS
1 cup Panko Bread Crumbs
1 egg, beaten
1/2 tsp. salt, or to taste
1/4 tsp.pepper
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/2 cup flour
about 1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts, or chicken tenders (thawed,if frozen)
Place Panko and spices in a bowl. In another bow, beat the egg. Line a baking sheet will foil and spray it with Pam or oil it. This makes clean up easier.
If using chicken breasts, cut them diagonally into about 3-4 slices. Dry the chicken with paper towels. Dip each chicken strip into flour and then shake to get rid of excess. Then dip into egg, and then into the seasoned Panko crumbs. Press crumbs into the chicken. Lay each strip onto the greased baking sheet. Before placing in the oven, spary chicken lightly with Pam, or drizzle with about 1 T. melted butter. I used the butter this time. Bake in a 425 degree preheated oven for about 15-20 minutes. And there you have some really crunchy and delicious chicken strips! Or, you can cut them into nugget size, if desired. I also found that you can mix regular bread crumbs with the Panko, about half and half, and still get tasty chicken. And, if you have the time, soaking the strips or tenders in buttermilk for an hour or two before cooking, really makes for moist chicken. Just be sure to dry them off well before dredging in the flour! You can also use additional spices, if desired. Try these on your family some evening. They are perfect for week night meals. I like to serve them with oven roasted vegetables for a truly healthy meal. Enjoy!


16 comments:

  1. Those look so yummy! I wish one of these stores would carry the panko crumbs around here so I can try them too. Actually there is one that might, but I never think to check for them when I go there darn it! I usually use plain corn flakes for oven baking but I'll bet the panko is great.

    Have a great rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I would eat just about anything if it had a crispy panko crust. I must start baking meat instead of frying it. This looks delicious and as tasty as fried.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are just perfect! A while back I was looking for a chicken fingers recipe for the grands, and I couldn't find ANYTHING that wasn't all jazzed up with a lot of spices and sauces. The kids will be CRAZY over these, and I know we will enjoy them equally as much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. anything home made is always delicious - mass produced chicken nuggets apparently dont contain much chicken in them, so anything you make at home is bound to be good (these look fantastic by the way)

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmm, breaded chicken strips! good for you for making them from scratch and using the best bread crumbs of all time--they look perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look wonderful. The crust outside looks so crispy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea to use Panko, so much more crispy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds good and healthy! I'm going to visit my granddaughter (she's 3) in October and will be cooking their meals... I'll make these!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm going to give these a try on my very picky nieces and nephew! Thanks for posting this, I bet it will be a big help to many!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Panko makes it a lite, tastey topping. Tastes great, not heavy like most breadcrumbs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. love this my son is three and he went crazy over them. Def will make again!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad you and your son liked them...thanks for letting me know!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These chicken tenders were so good! My daughter told me that she didn't know I knew how to make chicken tenders. She loved them and I did too. They were easy to make and baked up very nice with the Panko crumbs. Thank you for your wonderful recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mine didn't brown at all. What could I have done wrong? They also stuck horribly. I used foil and Pam. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for your question; sorry you had trouble. I think you may need to spray your baking sheet with more cooking spray. Since there is really no fat in the chicken strips, you will need to use more spray to keep them from sticking. Also, you will notice in my recipe that I used butter to drizzle over the chicken before I baked it, and that will make them brown more. Also, be sure to use a pan with low sides, 1 inch or less. Let me know if this helps!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!