Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Braised Chicken and Vegetable Skillet Dinner

I love making one pan meals. Everything is in one pot and there's less clean up. What's not to love? I've made this dish for years and don't remember the source- a magazine, I believe, but which one is any ones guess. I usually cut up a whole chicken for this dish, but you can buy whatever pieces you prefer. Dark meat works the best, because it doesn't dry out as quick as the white meat. But, if you watch it, you can remove the white meat a little early to prevent overcooking. I prefer about 3 pounds of chicken, so that the meal will be done in 40-45 minutes. I use the veggies that I have on hand, but my favorites are red or yellow small potatoes, carrots, green beans and onion. Add some Thyme and it's really good. Just add some good crusty bread and you've got a great comfort meal!
Begin by browning the chicken pieces in a little oil, skin side first. Turn over and repeat.

Add red potatoes, carrots, salt and pepper and some fresh Thyme. Pour in some chicken broth and cover pan with a tight fitting lid. Cook about 25-30 minutes.

Add fresh green beans the last 15 minutes of cooking. Only 45 minutes for a great comfort meal!


Braised Chicken and Vegetable Skillet Dinner
1- 3 1/2 pound chicken cut up, or equivalent amount of chicken pieces
small red or yellow potatoes, cut in half or fourths
1 pound carrots, peeled and cut in 1 inch pieces
about 1 pound of fresh green beans (or frozen)
1 small onion, cut into wedges
1/2 cup chicken broth, or water
about 2 tsp. fresh thyme leaves (or 1 tsp. dried)
salt and pepper
Add 1 T. oil to a large, deep skillet with a tight fitting lid. Heat over medium high heat. Salt and pepper the chicken. Add chicken pieces, skin side down and brown for about 5 minutes until golden. Turn over the chicken and brown on other side. Add the potatoes and carrots to the skillet. Pour the chicken broth in the skillet and sprinkle about 1 teaspoon thyme leaves over all. Add salt and pepper to the veggies. Cover pan with lid and simmer on low heat for about 25-30 minutes. Add green beans and onion to skillet and another teaspoon of thyme, if desired. Don't let the pan get dry, so add more broth if needed. Replace the lid and simmer for another 15 minutes, or until chicken is done and veggies are tender. Enjoy!
This delicious dish is one of my husbands favorite meals! Sometimes the easy meals taste the best, and I certainly don't mind not having a huge mess to clean up. I'd rather hold my Granddaughter than do dishes!




23 comments:

  1. This is great! TOTAL comfort food. Yummmm-O!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious comforting food....love the vegetable combination.
    Angie's Recipes</a

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love one dish meals! The colors of the veggies are great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This has Fall written all over it! I love this dish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is home-cooking at its finest, lynda. frankly, i'm getting homesick just looking at it! delicious work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love one dish meal, this is perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fantastic one pot meal. This looks really, really delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this kind of meal! And any leftovers too. This is true comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh yeah, I love love love meals like this! I never have hours to spend in the kitchen (sadly) and braising is my favorite way to cook in the fall/winter. Thanks for sharing this one, adding it to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  10. simple, easy AND one pot??!! LOVE it

    ReplyDelete
  11. One pan meals really save time...thanks

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks perfectly yumptious, Lynda, you've got to love those one pan meals. I thinks this would be a winner with my hubby too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love one-pan meals also. When you cook the veggies with the chicken, all the flavors just blend together and taste so great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This dish is soooo perfect for us. LOVING this one and will be adding this to the repertoire very soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks wonderful! One-pan dishes are always so good, the flavors together are just terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Perfect comfort food in my book. This looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That looks great! I love one-pot meals too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow what a great idea, I am ashamed to say I have never made a one skillet meal like that in my life. I am going to make this for sure when hubby comes home!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That meal looks really hearty! Something perfect for fall. One pot clean up is definitely a bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm putting this on my grocery list. I want to definitely try this. It sounds delicious and I love the idea you can make this in one pan! Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Making this next week. It will be a grand way to start using up my thyme! Scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great family fare! I love a one pot meal!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!