Thursday, April 2, 2009

Sesame Pork Chops

Pork chops are such an easy, versatile cut of meat to use for quick meals at home. They are usually lean and can be fixed to go with almost any cuisine. I like using them to put together really quick meals when there's just not much time! I found this recipe in a cookbook from the library. It is "Kitchen Life, Real Food for Real Families", by Art Smith. I've made it a couple of times now, so I've adapted it to our tastes. The recipe calls for 4 center cut, 1 inch thick chops with bone in. Well, at my store, these chops were thin and expensive. But I only needed 2 or 3 chops. Then I found the boneless pork loin chops, which looked thicker, and they were on sale!
First off, you're going to toast some sesame seeds. I didn't get a picture of that. Then, to make these luscious chops, salt and pepper them and add to a hot skillet in oil. Brown on both sides. This will take about 2 minutes per side. These are smaller chops than called for. The recipe calls for 10-12 ounce pork chops, but mine were maybe 6 ounce, so cooking time was cut. After the chops have browned, remove them from the skillet and then add the sauce ingredients to the pan and bring to a boil.

Add the pork chops back to the skillet and continue to cook for another 3-4 minutes, until they are done. If the sauce is not thick, remove chops from skillet to a plate or platter, and continue cooking the sauce until it thickens. When thick,add the toasted sesame seeds to sauce and pour over the chops. This sauce is sooooo tangy and delicious! You'll love it! Let's make this.


SESAME PORK CHOPS
1 Tbs. sesame seeds
1 Tbs. vegetable oil
4 pork chops (I only needed 3)
salt and pepper
1/2 cup chicken broth; reduced sodium
2 Tbs. rice vinegar
2 Tbs. brown sugar (I used more brown sugar; recipe called for 2 tsp.)
2 tsp. Dijon mustard
2 tsp. dark Asian sesame oil
1/4 tsp. crushed hot red pepper flakes
Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the sesame seeds and cook, stirring often until they are golden. Remove the seeds to a plate. Add vegetable oil to the skillet. Season chops with salt and pepper and add to skillet and brown on both sides, turning only once. This will take 4-5 minutes. Place chops on a plate and pour off fat from skillet, if any. Add to skillet the broth, vinegar, brown sugar, mustard and sesame oil. Stir and bring to a boil. Place chops back in skillet and sprinkle with the toasted sesame seeds. If you are using SMALLER chops like I did, they will be done in about 3- 5 minutes. If using the LARGER chops that the recipe calls for, you will need to cover the skillet with a lid for up to 20 minutes. When chops are done remove to a plate or platter. If the sauce has not thickened enough, continue boiling it until desired consistency. Pour sauce over the chops. Enjoy!




I served these Sesame Pork Chops with brown rice and Oven Roasted Asparagus. I drizzled some sauce on the rice and loved it so much that next time I may increase the amount of sauce. Also, I used more brown sugar than the recipe called for, as I thought the mustard was too strong. This was a fantastic meal, highlighted by the tangy, tender, Asian flavored pork chops.
The hot pepper flakes do add some heat, so if you have kids that can't handle it, just leave out the flakes. The sauce will still be great without the extra kick. Do you use pork chops for quick meals?



18 comments:

  1. These look delicious, I've made a similar recipe before from Cooking Light. I am making pork for dinner tonight too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that looks so good! I had my first fresh asparagus for this year today. I love them.

    I'm adding your blogsite to my blog friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been looking for somthing new to do with the last of my winter pork chops - which are pretty big! And have every ingredient in the house! What luck to have found you. Looks luscious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love pork chops, and am always looking for new ways to cook them. This looks and sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Asian pork - your sauce looks and sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love to always have pork chops on hand because #1 - my kids LOVE pork chops and #2 they are so versatile!
    I love this recipe and am going to have to bookmark it to try soon. Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Asian foods and this looks and sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm eating a pork chop right now--leftover from dinner last nite! I *love* the real thin bone-in chops... I just dredge them in seasoned flour and pop them in the fry pan. They're done in no time and I always cook extras for burritos :) The sesame sauce you used here sounds real good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have about 16 pork chops in my freezer and now I know what to do with them! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love pork chops but for some reason don't cook them very often. Your recipe looks so quick and delicious. I've just added some chops to my grocery list. And the side of spring asparagus is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mmm... pork doesn't taste much better than when it's dressed with a sweet and sour sauce like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pork chops are a favorite in our house too, I have quite a few in my freezer. I love the sound of this Asian inspired recipe. I am making a note to get some sesame seeds next time I go to the store.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your meal looks delish! I don't know why we don't eat pork chops or roast except once in a great while. I'm going to have to rethink that now that I see your great looking chops. I do love a sweet and sour sauce with pork. They were made for each other.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look so delicious. I love the glaze on the chops.. and that broccoli salad sounds wonderful also.

    ReplyDelete
  15. mustard, red pepper flakes, and brown sugar--three things that can only contribute to a fabulous piece of pig. great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These really look great! I bet the sesame seeds and sauce add some great flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These look delicious, Lynda, but I have to tell you I have totally given up on pork chops. We get great pork down here in NC, but I find that when I cook it, it dries out. I've been sticking to pork tenderloin, which I have much better luck with.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!