Friday, February 6, 2009

Polish Sausage and Peppers


My husband is home everyday for lunch and not for dinner, because of the hours he works. In the evening, I usually have 1 or 2 of our children here to eat. They are in the college age and working stage of their lives, so sometimes one, or both may give me a call saying they won't be here for dinner. At least they call! What I'm trying to say is that it won't be too long until I will be cooking for two most of the time, unless it's Sunday dinner after church when all three kids are almost always here! Today for lunch I made Polish Sausage and Peppers, and served it over rice. I've made this before and it's quite versatile, as you can substitute sausage made with turkey or chicken, or even Italian sausage. I've served it over either white or brown rice, or pasta, and it's good both ways. Today, I made just enough for 2 servings, so you may have to increase the amounts if you are feeding more people.

Polish Sausage and Peppers

You will need 1/2 pound of rope Polish Sausage, sliced in about 1/2 inch slices; 1/2 of a green bell pepper, cut into strips; 1/2 of a yellow bell pepper cut into strips; 1/2 of a red onion, sliced, and 1 Roma tomato, coarsely chopped.

I used 1/2 cup of rice to 1 cup of water or broth and combined in a sauce pan. Add 1 teaspoon oil and simmer, covered for 15 min. Remove from heat. It will continue to steam while your finishing the sausage and peppers. In a skillet in 1 tablespoon of olive oil, lightly brown the sausage for 2 or 3 minutes and then add the peppers and the onion and stir. Add a couple of tablespoons of water or broth and cover skillet with lid. Let simmer for about 5 minutes and then check to see if the peppers are as tender as you want them and make sure the skillet is not dry. You want a little bit of liquid to use on the rice. Add the chopped tomato and give it a stir and cook until tomato is heated through. I did not use salt or pepper because the meat was salty and plenty spicy. Serve over rice or pasta. This takes only about 20 minutes to prepare!
This can also be served on toasted hoagie rolls with melted cheese for a great sandwich!

4 comments:

  1. I love sausage and peppers! I like how you used different colored peppers, too. Onions are always great and I like how you added tomatoes. I'll have to try adding them next time. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious. Sausage and peppers is such a classic combination, and it's quick and easy to make too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynda- This looks great. Bet it was sooo good. I like to make kielbasa sweet and sour sometimes for a quick lunch with peppers, tomatoes, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sausage and peppers are yummy :)

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you stopped by. I hope you'll come back often. Thank you for your comments!